BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear of these things or ever use them? There's a rumor they're very similar to Seeker rods at 2/3's the price, but there isn't much out there on them right now so it's hard to believe "out of the box".

Fred

·
Registered
671 Posts
LOL they suck, buddy bought a complete set up last year 8foot/tld 25. First time out the rod snapped in half. I would go with a Tsunami over a Profile, they are far from the quality of a Seeker.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I have seen them and they will work but wasn't sold on the action or quality. For $50 more why not look at the Maja's that are proven or even go with a custom rod. I think they are closer to the Lamiglas spoon rods then the Seeker's and to be honest the Seeker's are the worst of the spoon rods compared to all of them, they are too stiff.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have caught fish on them, paired with penn113H2SP.....wire line. Caught bass up to 35lbs with no problem, action on the tip while trolling is good. I have never had a concern regarding strength of rod. Not a big fan of trolling for bass so was not looking for top of the line as i do with other tackle. However if the maja's are only $50 more may make sense to take a look, they were not available when I purchased my set up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm trolling reliable spoons 75% of the time using a Penn Slammer SC2701 7' rod w/ carboloy guides and a 113 h w/300' of 025 wire and this rod works like you would not believe. I've caught 6 fish over 50 lbs, countless 40 plus pound bass and a ton of fish smaller than that since I stumbled on this setup 5 years ago. The reliable spoons have a recommended speed range of 1.9 to 2.3 kts but I've caught at up to 3.5 kts. The rod has a very soft tip and throbs really well. You know when you're dialed in, believe me. It's unmistakable.
The only drawback to this rod is I'm having to get the guides repoxied every 2 years as well as the foam butt section replaced because my rod holder is tearing up the butt when the rod is doubling over and leaves a crease and then tears. I replace the perko rod holder insert every year but it happens anyway. I guess these may be real good problems to have.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm trolling reliable spoons 75% of the time using a Penn Slammer SC2701 7' rod w/ carboloy guides and a 113 h w/300' of 025 wire and this rod works like you would not believe. I've caught 6 fish over 50 lbs, countless 40 plus pound bass and a ton of fish smaller than that since I stumbled on this setup 5 years ago. The reliable spoons have a recommended speed range of 1.9 to 2.3 kts but I've caught at up to 3.5 kts. The rod has a very soft tip and throbs really well. You know when you're dialed in, believe me. It's unmistakable.
The only drawback to this rod is I'm having to get the guides repoxied every 2 years as well as the foam butt section replaced because my rod holder is tearing up the butt when the rod is doubling over and leaves a crease and then tears. I replace the perko rod holder insert every year but it happens anyway. I guess these may be real good problems to have.

instead of getting the foam replaced, why not put on an aluminum or plastic butt?

·
Registered
196 Posts
they are great rods.they have a really nice parabolic action that works the spoons really well. they make an 8 and an 8'9'' if I'm not mistaken. perfect for spoons of any size small to large. good components all around nice rods and for a good price.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Can't speak for them personally...

But I know that Phil and Phil at that spot on 36 have both those and the Maja rods. The profile rod is a decent looking rod but I can not speak to the only thing that really matters; say it with me now. Its all about the action.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stopped down at the Oaks show this afternoon and Reel Life had the Profile rods as promised, and some Tony Maja rods as well. In the end I had to go with the Profile based on similarity and price. He was letting these go for $109 a piece which made it a no brainer. Side by side, the guides were the same, the Maja looked better overall, and the Maja was a tad shorter and had a sharper taper at the end. Without getting them wet, the Maja admittedly had a tad bit more play at the tip. I'm counting on the slightly longer Profile to offset the taper a bit and given how close they were I had to make the choice I made. He also had the St. Croix's and they were stiff as a board. One other vendor from Massachusetts had some custom bunker spoon rods for $125, but they were comparable to the St. Croix's.

I've got an old Penn 113 set up on the Profile rod and 450' of smoke colored Monel waiting to be strung. It'll be nice to have a meat pole for the tough days this Spring.

Thanks all for your input.

Fred

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good luck with the new set up's, I made the same decision as you last year. For the price, no brainer. They work perfect for the task.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts