BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my shafts are throwing a lot of water into the bilge. The marina where I winter my boat repacked the stuffing boxes a year ago and they have never been right since. Does anyone know someone in the Forked River area who can do the job properly?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree, probably just a minor adjustment. There should be double locking nuts on the shaft above the stuffing box. Back the top one off, which is the lock, and then adjust the one under it tighter to reduce the amount of drip. Don't over tigthen. I was always told that these should drip a drop every 10 seconds.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have already adjusted as far as possible. Still taking on water at an unbelievable rate. I think the stuffing box needs more flax. Taking it back to the marina who screwed it up in the first place.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Mako,

What is the drip rate at the dock? It should be a drop every 10 seconds or so if it is greater than that you definitely have a problem. That is why I do most stuff myself:rolleyes: The flax should be put in such that the breaks in the packing ar at least 45 degrees apart around the shaft.

If the drippage is proper, you can tame it by taking a 1 gallon juice bottle and slicing it in 2, thenuse wire ties to set one of the halves over the coupling without touching it. The ties will be over (attached) the tranny and the stuffing box.

If your shaft is wobbling or bent you will get the same problem. Since it ios both however I doubt that is the problem.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
changing out a shaft packing is pretty easy if you have good access to the nut. The worst is one under a V-Drive. I have seen them changed out in the water too.

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
worn out...

if this is an older boat....you may have a problem with the shafts themselves-the packing box should never be tightened too tightly-the flax will actually ruin the shaft....if the alignment of the coupler halves is out of spec,it can cause a problem in the stuffing box as well...

if the nut is "bottoming out" then there's probably not enough wraps of packing - repack it,but first remove all the existing packing-try to use at least 4 wraps of packing on the shaft-i vary the gaps by 180'-meaning,one gap at the top,next at the bottom and the next to the side and the last on the other side....

using the plastic juice bottle as a shield isn't a bad idea,however i use exhaust hose-soft wall...cut it in half and zip tie a piece that covers the top of the stuffing box-this will keep the water throw,in the bilge....

an excellent idea is to install dripless packing boxes-this will avoid the problem,it also keeps the bilge dry...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you who offered advice. I have taken the boat to the marina and trust they will do it properly this time and that there are no other problems with the shafts.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let everyone the outcome. The marina admitted that they did not put enough flax in the stuffing boxes when they initially repacked them!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts