Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
> The proposed changes for the 2006-2007 Fish Code will be officially
> published in the NJ Register on Monday, August 15, but are now
> available for review on the Division's website. The comment period
> closes on October 14. We encourage all anglers to review the code and
> submit written comments, as well as to attend the public hearing
> scheduled for September 13 at Assunpink WMA.
>
> The proposed changes are in PDF format which requires the Acrobat
> Reader to view and print. The direct link is
> http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2005/fishcode_proposal06-07.pdf
> and the Official Notice is at
> http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/081505c.htm.

·
Registered
938 Posts
ITS ABOUT TIME THEY FINALY STARTED GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
THE 24-28 SLOT FISH STILL HAS TO GO.I DONOT UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF KEEPING A FISH THAT HAS NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO BREED EVEN ONCE!!! :mad:
LONEWOLF856

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by LONEWOLF856:
ITS ABOUT TIME THEY FINALY STARTED GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
THE 24-28 SLOT FISH STILL HAS TO GO.I DONOT UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF KEEPING A FISH THAT HAS NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO BREED EVEN ONCE!!! :mad:
LONEWOLF856
What are you talking about? Nothing changed. The only thing they did was increase the size limit for HYBRID stripers. "Pure strain" stripers, as they term them, are still 2 fish, one 24-28" and one 34"+. And the purpose of having the slots is to keep people's interest. 34" bass aren't the most common fish in the sea. How many times do you think people will go fishing w/out being able to keep anything before they begin to lose interest??? Not to mention that if the population is strong, which it is, why have overly-strict regulations?

[ 08-17-2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here's something else of interest:

Change in bass rules dependent on research
Published in the Asbury Park Press 08/17/05

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's striped bass management board will meet at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, and the fate of New Jersey's striped bass regulations in the months ahead may rest on the information made public.
Assemblyman Robert Smith, D-Gloucester, the architect of the present striped bass law in New Jersey, said he is willing to seek a change if data released Thursday shows that the bass stocks are stable or increasing.

If, on the other hand, scientific research indicates that the stocks are declining, then the legislation might have to be more restrictive.

The majority of the striper anglers who responded to a Recreational Fishing Alliance survey revealed they want two striped bass at 28 inches and above. The Jersey Coast Anglers Association is also on record as in favor of two fish at 28 inches and above.

Greg Hueth, a spokesman for the Shark River Surf Anglers and a supporter of two fish at 28 inches and up, said a lot of bass fishermen are anxious to see what happens at Thursday's ASMFC board meeting.

"I am looking forward to hearing what the biologists have to say about the stocks," he said. "We believe the stocks are healthy, and there are plenty of fish around, but we'll see what the scientists have to say."

·
Registered
930 Posts
Two at 28" and up would be fine IMO. But I wouldn't go higher than that. I still like the idea for having summer regulations though where you can keep one 20"+ (I forget who's idea it was). There are so many resident shorts around, a lower keep size for the summer would keep the striper industry strong throughout the "offseason", and ultimately bring a lot more $$$ in to our shore towns.

****Cam please check your email, thanks RodFather****

[ 08-17-2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
938 Posts
i'm concerned with the long term sucess of thease fish.i would like to see them as common as blues in the surf.i still cannot go to the store and buy a couple pounds of striper. so how can they say the stocks are in good shape? every time we keep a slot,we are also taking the future generations of fish that would have been produced.
if they determine that the breeding starts at lets say 30 or 32 0r 36 it dosenot matter. once a strong base has been established there will be plenty for everyone.if, you give them a chance to grow.
:rolleyes: lonewolf856

[ 08-18-2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: LONEWOLF856 ]

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
LW856-
seems like a double edged sword

we need to release the big fish b/c they are the spawners and release a ton of eggs and they are the ones who keep the population going

then we need to release the shorter fish b/c they are the ones who get to grow up and become the bigger fish who are the spawners- who keep the population going......

It's a tough issue....one that's been batted around here for years. As a bay fisherman- I could care less about the slot fish personally. But I feel for the guy who is confined to land, who fishes the back bay, who bangs the bridges, who fishes out of The Fort, who goes on a headboat in the rips- these are the guys who benefit from the slottie size.

I really liked the one slot and one over 28. I feel it gave everyone a taste and also helped preserve the larger breeders. Who knows?

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Guys they haven't released the assessment data yet. Any future NJ changes will be based on that.

If this years data continues like the last few years 2 at 28 will no longer be the coastwide regs.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Personally, I like the slot fish! It's good for what we do.(Bucktail) If ya aske me...I'd like to see one fish at 24" and under 28" and one fish at 28" and above. Keep it at that forever!

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I'm w/ you guys! There was absolutely nothing wrong w/ the old regs of one under 28 one over, except the it should be one under 28, not 24-28! There are allready too many slot and under sized fish in the back bays. Two over 28" over protects the runts and kills too many breeders.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Guys, Bob ECT is right. Let's not get crazy yet. It's all mute until the stock assessment comes out. That will drive everything. One thing that is pretty certain is that regulations aren't likely to be relaxed in 2006.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I did a report on stripers last year. I was suprised to find that something like 96.4% of fish over 32" and 99.7% of fish over 34" females. This means that odds are the fish at 24 - 28" is a male, which when looked at it that way is not so horrible as to taking alot of females. Just some of my findings.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Originally posted by IgotWORMS:
I did a report on stripers last year. I was suprised to find that something like 96.4% of fish over 32" and 99.7% of fish over 34" females. This means that odds are the fish at 24 - 28" is a male, which when looked at it that way is not so horrible as to taking alot of females. Just some of my findings.
interesting study

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Originally posted by cam:
Two at 28" and up would be fine IMO. But I wouldn't go higher than that. I still like the idea for having summer regulations though where you can keep one 20"+ (I forget who's idea it was). There are so many resident shorts around, a lower keep size for the summer would keep the striper industry strong throughout the "offseason", and ultimately bring a lot more $$$ in to our shore towns.

your 100% rigth a summer fish would be a shot in the arm for all! and would take pressure off other fish no dought

freedom

**** freedom please check your Email, thanks rodfather *** :D

****Cam please check your email, thanks RodFather****
[ 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: freedom ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by IgotWORMS:
Actually all that data says is that the larger fish are females. Females need to grow through the slot range to reach the larger sizes so the percentage of either sex in that range will determine the catch ratio.

[ 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: TI Guys ]

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
LW856-
seems like a double edged sword

we need to release the big fish b/c they are the spawners and release a ton of eggs and they are the ones who keep the population going

then we need to release the shorter fish b/c they are the ones who get to grow up and become the bigger fish who are the spawners- who keep the population going......

It's a tough issue....one that's been batted around here for years. As a bay fisherman- I could care less about the slot fish personally. But I feel for the guy who is confined to land, who fishes the back bay, who bangs the bridges, who fishes out of The Fort, who goes on a headboat in the rips- these are the guys who benefit from the slottie size.

I really liked the one slot and one over 28. I feel it gave everyone a taste and also helped preserve the larger breeders. Who knows?
way true ! i belive thats why we went to the meetings and spoke our minds..

freedom ots.

·
Registered
938 Posts
please,look farther out.once a strong base has been established the possabilities become endless!!! at that point,you can add a rule or open the season up.example; from memorial day to labor day 20 inches and up 5 fish limit or what ever number the gurus establish.
and yes folks i am one of those guys who works the surf and bridges exclusively.when i go out on the head boats in the fall.i bring the little ones with me.(not just the future generations of fish but also fisherman and women)for me its 200,plus,plus.(kinda funny,i pay charter price for head boat service.)so please LOOK FARTHER OUT!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
the state striper boilgist said that the slot fish was the best way to save the fish for years to come. so it was a no brianer,it had two fold benfits it also let the back bay land base anglers have a taste too... hance the slot fish

it's always been said, if it's not broke don't fix it. with stocks @ historic "high" levles, why play with mother nature ? be thankful for what we have, don't push her
freedom ots.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" You got it!

Lonewolf, I don't think what you're asking for...having stripers be as common as bluefish...is possible, or even natural. Right now these fish are approaching their historical "high level", and our goal should be to maintain the stock in a healthy fashion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts