BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good charter recommendations looking to do some fishing and some diving. Thanks. Gonna be in Rincon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
There are very few boats fishing there. Good diving. Hotel should have info or go to Marias Beach. There is a dive shop next to the Caribean grill [ good food ] they can help you. You can go south an hour or so to Puerto Real. A few more boats down there. No matter where you go in PR the food is good and the beer is sooo cold. There are more charterboats in San Juan or Fajardo but that is a long drive.
While not an expert on PR this is my second winter fishing down there. We are on the east coast at Palmas del Mar but I like Rincon. You don't have to surf to appriciate surfer girls.
PM me with any questions you have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For diving go to Taino divers. They have dive charters. They will recommended some fishing charters too. Don't expect nice marinas with fleets of boats, you'll have one or two boats to choose from in Rincon.

·
Registered
690 Posts
There are very few boats fishing there. Good diving. Hotel should have info or go to Marias Beach. There is a dive shop next to the Caribean grill [ good food ] they can help you. You can go south an hour or so to Puerto Real. A few more boats down there. No matter where you go in PR the food is good and the beer is sooo cold. There are more charterboats in San Juan or Fajardo but that is a long drive.
While not an expert on PR this is my second winter fishing down there. We are on the east coast at Palmas del Mar but I like Rincon. You don't have to surf to appriciate surfer girls.
PM me with any questions you have.
How is Palmas these days? Went there pretty much every year for a 5-6 year period in the mid-late 90's. Loved that place. Looked at real estate down there but never pulled the trigger.

For the OP. Again going back 10+ years I used to fish with Capt Miller out of Club Nautico Marina in San Juan. He had a 34 Luhrs at the time. Not sure if he's still around down there but if he is would definitely recomend him.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I fished Rincon last year, first time fishing in a panga........interesting I guess you could say. Only one boat running out of there other than panga's, think it is 30' Contender.....tight fleet, all the capts talk it up on the VHF and help each other out with info. The way PR is situated you do not feel the open ocean swells until about 6 miles out, we fished off the island in 4-5ft and I was getting a little uncomfortable.....remember panga. As for fish all we had was barracuda but mahi, wahoo, yellowfin tuna, are possible.

Go down to the dive shop as others have described or go to the bar at maria's beach and ask the bartender, Troy, and they will send you in the right direction. This is the capt i used 787-560-9347 RINCON PUERTO RICO

After we fished we came in and looked for tarpon, there are a bunch that hang out by the boat launch at little malibu......you could see your bait sitting right in front of them but no takers, big fish. There is capt a little south that specializes in tarpon and if I could have done two trips I would have met up with him as well. Fishing off RIncon in the panga for 6-8hrs was $160, just me and the capt. Have fun:)

http://lighttackleadventuretarponfi.../cabo-rojo-puerto-rico-tarpon-from-beach.html

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Anyone have any good charter recommendations looking to do some fishing and some diving. Thanks. Gonna be in Rincon :thumbsup:
hay king size call my buddy doun there his name is sunny his # is 917 846 1109 tell him, bobby from n y gave you his # he lives down there now and works on a boat with a guy from montauk they will put you on fish wahoo, tuna, bottom fish.

rincon is awesome one of my favorite places. been there many times caught my best yft there and only a mile off the beach and the surfing is great too have fun

i dont think he does dive charters but the guy to go with is right there chino diver.s sunny will introduce you.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys :thumbsup: Helpfull info will post some pics when I get home :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
In Rincon now. My friend Pepi has a 33 contender and does well. Surf is currently flat. Was like 8 to 12 last week. Supposed to be like 15 ft Monday and Tuesday, can't wait. Fishing is ok right now. Dorado and wahoo mostly. Some blackfin mixed in. Can't bottom fish til like march 1st.

Check into Makaira Charters, capt Jose "Pepi" Alfonso
(787) 299-7374

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
How is Palmas these days? Went there pretty much every year for a 5-6 year period in the mid-late 90's. Loved that place. Looked at real estate down there but never pulled the trigger.

For the OP. Again going back 10+ years I used to fish with Capt Miller out of Club Nautico Marina in San Juan. He had a 34 Luhrs at the time. Not sure if he's still around down there but if he is would definitely recomend him.
The marina , Yacht Club at Palmas del Mar, opened about three years ago. Very nice with great service and reasonable prices. My last fuel up was $3.85 a gal. Also a great tiki bar with $3.00 Heineken. Going back Thursday. The wind has finally droped of so I will be fishing.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Give Mike Benitez a call at (787) 723-2292.

If you know anything about big game fishing in P.R. Mike is legendary

http://www.allatsea.net/article/July_2006/Profile:_Puerto_Rico's_Sports_Fishing_Legend_Mike_Benitez

While he is out of Club Nautico on the other side of the island, he will at a minimum point you in the right direction.

I fished with him when he used to run the Freebird....the man truly is a legend...nothing more to add. Took a half day trip due to time constraints on a biz trip, and he put us on a 650# blue 20 minutes out of the block.

Good luck and catch em up.

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again guys got all my notes. Will post pics when I get back. thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Caught a 50 wahoo on Pepe boat yesterday then went on a very good afternoon booze Cruz. My busy out with today sure hell post his catch. Waves are supposed to get big tomorrow

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Fished with Pepi today. Mahi and blackfin. Had the girls catching fish, then beached the boat for some beers in the beautiful PR sun.

Be surfing te next two days before we head home

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Fiahed with Pochy before. He is good too. Boat is wet usually, but it's a good trip.

Big swell in now, no one fishing. Not sure when you are coming.

Waves were head or better and building as we got out of the water tonight. Calling for 15' or so tmrw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks again guys got all my notes. Will post pics when I get back. thanks
Did you fish?
With who, and how did you do?
I was there surfing all week, but did some research around the marina beach ramp for fishing next time. Got a # for "Carolina Sportfishing" and a guy named Sean Bream (sp?) to contact.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts