BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been up to the Salmon River recently? I went back in the mid 90s and it was great except for the massive amount of people on the river. Would like to go up probably next season because I no longer have any of the gear. Looking to build a 9wt, 10ft fly rod to possibly give that a shot instead of the snagging mess that occurs up there. I will have to tie a bunch of flies too. From what I saw wooley buggers and zonkers seem to be decent producers. Just not sure of the hook size especially with their weird regulations they have.

·
Registered
14,117 Posts
Friends have been up, and a few are there now. Fishing is not what it used to be. Fish are much smaller, and you really have to work for them. Lots of anglers and whatever fish there are, they are spread out. Water is still on the warm side and rain is needed to increase the flow rate. Not that many new fish coming into the river, but that should improve in the next week or two.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went last year Columbus Day weekend. Had great trip caught a number of 28 inch plus kings and one coho. I recommend paying to fish the Dougluston Salmon Run. Google it, it is worth it.We hired a guide on the DSR for the first day. His name is Brian Ferman. He was great. You can find him on the DSR website We got stand by half day passes and did really well On the next day with out the guide but it helped getting the advice on day one. You need to add a ridiculous amount of split shot above the Tippit, The guides name is Brian Ferman. you can find him on the DSR website. I also fished a day in town at the ball field holes. it was combat shoulder to shoulder fishing but the people really cooperated And I caught a couple of giant ones. You land about 25% of the fish you hook.You end up flossing a lot of fish but the fight is really fun.
Good Luck

i

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember when I went up before that we fished mainly the Sportsmans Hole and the Gravel Pit. Went up there once on Turkey Day weekend and had at least a dozen hook-ups. No one was around then. I really dont like fishing the main river. When I do go up next I will hit some of the tribs in the area. I heard the DSR is something like $75 a person now which is insane to me. If I want to fish the main river, Ill prob go to the fly fishing only section.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Fished the Oswego river back in the early 90’s
Big Kings , and Brown Trout ……..

I was just a young man , had a blast .

Saw an ugly stick get snapped in half at the handle by a hooked fish .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oswego is a crazy place too. We attempted close to the outflow along the catwalk but it was just too crazy. We did good throwing plugs out past the last bridge. Never attempted to wade Oswego, that flow is just too much.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Oswego is a crazy place too. We attempted close to the outflow along the catwalk but it was just too crazy. We did good throwing plugs out past the last bridge. Never attempted to wade Oswego, that flow is just too much.
Like 15 to 20 Guy’s , me included were lined up single file shoulder to shoulder , wading out by the water fall fishing .

The flow was so strong that a couple of guy’s on the end of the line got swept down stream a bit , every time that happened the crowd cheered ….. :D

We were all passing and sharing a few belts out of a couple bottles of whiskey ,
singing ….

“ hang on stupid , stupid hang on “

Taken From the song ….
hang on sloppy , sloppy hang on

Nobody got hurt , and everybody was laughing and having a great time .

All complete strangers too …..

I was in my early 20’s
, I had a blast

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen the fish get really stacked up at the waterfall so im sure the fishing is great over there. I was always with my dad when we went and I was still in highschool so we always took the safe route so the waterfall was never an option. Now I wont do that just because ive heard horror stories of people being swept downstream having their waders filled. Id like to try fishing with skeins as I have seen that those get some crazy bites plus a good chance of getting a monster brown that way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I stopped going years ago even though we had lots of fun in Pulaski and Oswego. We also refused to pay for Douglaston Run on the principle that you should be able to wade fish anywhere without paying. The owner was in local government so the fix was in and it has not been reversed under court appeal. We fished in town mostly at the section behind the supermarket. Sportsman's was too crowded for our taste. We started in the Eighties when Snagging was allowed at Trestle Poll to Altmar. Lifting a form of snagging was employed all along the river but the DER would video and fine anyone they caught being blatant. Most ethical anglers reasoned that all of the fish headed upriver were going to die anyway and disregarded the illegality of the technique. I knew someone who got busted...did not pay and had a warrant issued for his arrest. This soured most our group from patronizing the melee the Salmon river had become. I fished a year or two more legally using a fly rod in Altmar and did catch a nice steelhead in April. Generally speaking the ethical dilemma still remains... The King Salmon Don't Bite. Did catch a nice Brown Trout and a Steel head that did bite egg sack imitators. Kings with 10 to 20 broken off hooks in their side leaping and flipping midstream was just too much for me to bear. The guides teach you how to lift without being obvious by drifting loose line into the gaping fishes mouths and pulling tight. Mouth hookups usually end up with your hook penetrating the outside of the fishes jaw so it does not appear foul hooked.

Back then they raised the water level every night and lowered it in the morning as power generation was needed when locals came home from work turned on lights and cooked dinner. You could hear the River roaring with water every night and this is when new fish would come up the river from Lake Ontario and fill all of the pools on the Salmon river. Once State officials decided to close the legal snagging section and crack down on lifting there was no reason to open more gates of flow and bring lots of fish up river. A handful of fish that reach the hatchery are all they need for a robust stocking program.

I have fond memories of the Falls and Powerplant ledge in Oswego too. We parked at Leto Island and had to occasionally fish someone out and dry them off. The power company always sounded a horn around 3:30 pm. when they cranked up the flow. Eventually they got cute and stopped sounding the warning horn and you had to stay alert for increased water pressure or risk getting swept off the wall and taking a dip. I always wore Korkers but ran drywall screws through the heel cup sides and into the heels of my neoprene waders to keep them firmly in place. Everybody got tired of welcoming the anglers. In Pulaski the best AYCE Buffet restaurant where we had memorable group dinners burned down and restaurant choices dwindled to a a Sizzler or some other sad restaurant chains.

During the raised flood gates days a skillful angler could have their 3 fish limit and take them to the smokehouse at Sportsman's Lodge by 10:30 am. Then come back after lunch for some CPR fishing at a leisurely pace. The place has lost its charm a long time ago. Drift boating with Hot Shots is still a thing if there is enough water. Having a guide put a fish on then handing you the rod has no appeal to me.

My weapon of choice was a Garcia 12' Noodle Rod with a Penn 850 spooled with Ande Tournament Green 20lb. test that I stripped off and respooled every night because the line got so stretched it was compromised after one day of fishing. It would turn from clear green to almost white. There was no such thing as braid and in any case you had to have it break off once you got snagged on a rock. May go again to fly fish in the FFO area and take some legal fish but will avoid the Salmon Slaughter. I will never give that bandit a Douglasston Run a dime. It started at $10.00 per angler and has increased steadily and is still in my view an illegal fee and unconstitutional.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Striper Ken. The fly rod build and avoiding the mess in town is a good idea. I built a Lamiglas 9ft. 8wt. two piece rod equipped with a Penn International 1.5 Fly reel. Best times I have ever had doing this are on Easter Sunday fishing Trestle Pool and Altmar. Easter Sunday weekend the river is generally deserted and peaceful.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I went to Oswego, people used to be on the wall close to the power plant. From the latest youtube vids, that isnt a thing anymore. I also saw people using plugs with trebles close to the power plant, which wasnt allowed back in the 90s.

I used to use a heavy 7'7" spinner with a Penn Spinfisher reel spooled with 30lb mono. It did the job for someone in their 20s who could swing that all day. I couldnt do that now.

I am thinking of a 10wt probably a MHX blank as a Lami blank is a bit too much considering how often I would go. I was thinking of getting a Reddington Bohemeth and putting some 30lb backing on there with probably just a floating line.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ken all good choices. I use my fly rod on blitzing fish in the surf its always in the truck if I encounter one. I have a Clouser Minnow already attached so I can just slip it out and fish.
It also caught me some nice lake trout in New Zealand. I carried it on to planes in a case and put it in the overhead until airlines recently cracked down on it. People used to ask me if that was my driver and putter in the bag until now most people realized it as a combo fly rod and reel case. Many flight attendants used to allow me to put in their coat closet in first class but that kind of friendliness has disappeared.
I have started to put my reel spools in my checked bag as some countries regard Braid on reels in your carry on as a weapon. Sad.

Have also recently been forced to Check the travel rods so I will likely get a 30" Spinner suitcase to pack the travel rods in diagonally to avoid hassle. Will be taking my travel gear to Rivera Maya in Mexico and my wife fishes too so two rods and two reels plus a flat tackle box some Fishbites and some Gulp. I check the gear and spools in my big suitcase and carry on the 4 piece travel rods in cases and reels without spools. I actually have a four piece travel 10ft. Lamiglas surf rod I bring. I have been looking for another for ten years and even asked the Lamiglas ambassador "Crazy Alberto" about a second one but no dice finding another They do not make it anymore.

I used the 12ft. noodle rod for Salmon because it was light and easy to load and would bend like crazy to absorb the shock of multiple runs and stay hooked up.
We used a swivel on the main line 36" of leader and a size 1 Eagle Claw bait hold hook with a piece of rubber worm or rubber egg cluster on the bait hold shank to qualify as a lure. Five 1/2oz split shot were pinched on above the swivel when snagging was still legal. I still have some 3oz snag trebles from back then too.

Pretty much screamed "Fish On" and "Fish Off" for three days straight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to try fly fishing for stripers as well so the rod wouldnt solely be for salmon. I would just get a spare spool and put some sinking line on that one for the stripers.

I had more fun 'stalking' the salmon on the tribs when we went up. The stream was substantially smaller with very few fisherman. You could see the fish swimming up well before you got to them.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Has anyone been up to the Salmon River recently? I went back in the mid 90s and it was great except for the massive amount of people on the river. Would like to go up probably next season because I no longer have any of the gear. Looking to build a 9wt, 10ft fly rod to possibly give that a shot instead of the snagging mess that occurs up there. I will have to tie a bunch of flies too. From what I saw wooley buggers and zonkers seem to be decent producers. Just not sure of the hook size especially with their weird regulations they have.
Did it for many years before I discovered Erie steelhead. Way more fun, less crowded. We always went the weekend after Thanksgiving. Steelhead willingly eat the fly, fight hard and taste good.

Reactions: StriperKen74
1 - 14 of 14 Posts