BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentelmen and Ladies,
I am changing my normal Fall plans to include a trip to the Salmon River in Pulaski NY.
I have never been, and wonder what type of gear to bring.
What type. size and color flys should I be tying?

My 11 year old may be coming along. How about spinning gear? How to rig?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I used to go up there in late Oct. & early Nov. for Stealhead & Browns. As soon as you get off Rt 81 at the Pulaski exit make a right, there's a tackle shop up on the right that will be very helpfull on all your needs! (flys or spinning) I hope it's still there, I haven't been there in years! Good Luck, there will also be plenty of Kings in the river at that time too!

[ 09-04-2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Striper101 ]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Frank, my brother and I have been going up there for the last few years That's actually what got me into fly fishing. We've learned a lot from the local guides up there. I'm going again in early October. If you're going at the same time we can catch up on the river.

As I've been getting ready for the trip I've started writing down a bunch of notes that I was going to formulate into an article for the SJCFA website. Stay tuned and I'll send you a preview.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Striper:
Yep, that tackle shop is still there. We talked to that guy last year. He was very helpful.

Frank:
Be sure to wear felt soles or korkers on the Salmon. The cobbles are extremely slippery. Go catch some 30lbers!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've only fished there once but was in to fish right away. You'll have a blast. Skip the felt krokers are a must. I watched guys hocking in to fish and running over the rocks! It's not the prettiest way to fly fish but I used a level line and a set up with a "slinky" on it. The local shops will set you up with them. It's simply parachute cord with lead shot in it that you attach to you line to get your fly down quickly. It is attached on a swivel and is aloud to slide between your fly line and your leader so it doesn?t get hung up on the rocks. With this on your line you don?t actually cast the fly like normal you kind of flip it. There is a fly fishing only area which is catch and release it?s easy to find and not as packed with fishermen. Good luck and have a great time.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go the FF only area in June (or the Salmon River at all, for that matter)! I went there in June of last year and the skeeters were (dare I say) much much worse than down here. We were fishing in a cloud of them all day, like it was Alaska or something, and bug spray didn't last long. But in the fall it should be great. I saw two Atlantic Salmon, about 15lb+, right at my feet, and nothing else but chubs and zillions of baby salmon. It was a complete waste of time, and it explained why we were the ONLY people on the entire river.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Good point you are either there and they are there or it is slim pickn's. The day I was on the river they where stacked up like cord wood.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am invited to fish a privately owned land stretch of the river. I understand that it is a one and a half mile walk in untill you hit the river.If it was crazy, i would not be there.
Thanks to all of those who helped me out...
I heard of glo bugs....what size and style of hook???Sorry for the silly question.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Glo Bugs are stupidly simple to tie. You just need some glo yarn and a small hook, preferrable a short-shanked salmon egg hook. You can also make estaz eggs in the same way.

Here is a bad internet pic of a Glo Bug.

It's the size of a salmon egg, so you probably want a small hook, like a #8 or #10, or maybe a little bigger.

[ 09-11-2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Frank Even I can tie glo bugs. Next time you are here, remind me. I have some for you to "field test" :D Ron

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Frank I went to Pulaski about 10 years ago and had a blast catching Kings up to 35lbs on flyrods dipping egg sacks in the pockets of the river. We also caught a couple of steelheads up to 14lbs and saw a couple of beautiful rainbow hook jaws in the 8lb range. One of the most important thinks to know before you go is that the weather up there is very cold in the morning. We went the last week in oct and there was ice on the waters edge and it was around 20 degrees in the morning. Corkers, I believe are a must up there now due to so many accidents from anglers slipping and falling in the water. I would call up there and check before going. We had a guide for three days and were not allowed to clean our own fish. They have fish cleaning stations up there to do that for you which of course is another expense. Just some info I wanted to pass on before you got up there. Good luck and post the pictures on the barn when you get back. The experience that you and your son will have will be unforgetable.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Frank,

Although I have'nt been there in a while, I fly fished the Pulaski area for more than 10 years. Here are a few things that worked for me:
1. Get away from the crowds as much as possible (it looks like you may have an edge here with the private water).

2. I carried four different types of flies: large & bright colored (#4 comets or bright wooley-buggers); large & natural colored (brown or olive buggers); small & bright colored (glo-bugs and hot pink or chartreuse soft hackles on size 8 or 10 hooks; and small & natural colored (soft hackles and stone fly nymphs size 8 to 12.

3. In high or stained water think big and bright, low clear water think small and natural. If fish spook as your fly approaches, downsize and go to more natural colors.

4. We used the "slinky" weights and split shot to get the fly down to the fish and fished with 12-20 foot leaders that tapered to 8 or 10 pound test. The fish would often hold in small depressions that are 8" to maybe 2' deeper than the surrounding water. If your fly does not drop into the depression they usually would not take it.

5. Our best success by far was achieved by sight casting to visible targets. Most times the fish would not move more than 6 -12" to take the fly.

Sorry for the long post. I think you and your son will have a blast if the fish are there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts