BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of looking for a new to me (used) boat primarily for fishing, but a little bit of family cruising too. Because I will often fish with a small crew, the focus has been on express style boats that will not require me to drive from a bridge. Two of the boats that I have been considering are the 34 pursuit and 37 topaz. I am open to anything in the 34' - 40' range and would strongly prefer diesels and a cruising speed in the mid 20 knot range. My current boat is an express that is more well suited to family cruising and I have taken more than a few beatings in rough seas for that reason. A decent ride in snotty weather is a priority in the new boat. I would be very interested in hearing some opinions regarding these boats as well as any others I should be considering. Should also mention that my price point is $100,000 give or take (which is clearly limiting) and that mid 1990's and newer would be my preference.

Also, I have not completely ruled out a larger cc, but am not sure of overnighting without the luxury of a generator and some creature comforts. Any opinions on this front would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
I am in the process of looking for a new to me (used) boat primarily for fishing, but a little bit of family cruising too. Because I will often fish with a small crew, the focus has been on express style boats that will not require me to drive from a bridge. Two of the boats that I have been considering are the 34 pursuit and 37 topaz. I am open to anything in the 34' - 40' range and would strongly prefer diesels and a cruising speed in the mid 20 knot range. My current boat is an express that is more well suited to family cruising and I have taken more than a few beatings in rough seas for that reason. A decent ride in snotty weather is a priority in the new boat. I would be very interested in hearing some opinions regarding these boats as well as any others I should be considering. Should also mention that my price point is $100,000 give or take (which is clearly limiting) and that mid 1990's and newer would be my preference.

Also, I have not completely ruled out a larger cc, but am not sure of overnighting without the luxury of a generator and some creature comforts. Any opinions on this front would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help.
Best case scenario is a beat up boat with some real tired engines. Overhauls alone could be 30-50k.

·
Registered
912 Posts
HEY,
I HAVE SEEN THIS BOAT UP CLOSE.VERY NICE CONDITION.1990 36 TIARA WITH NEW HARDTOP SATLELITE TV NEW GEN SET AND 3208 CATS NEW IN 95.ALL SHE NEEDS ARE RIGGERS.THE SEATS IN COCKPIT ARE REMOVABLE.26 KNT CRUISE NOT BAD.LOOK ON YACHTWORLD.THE BROKER IS DIMILLOS YACHT SALES IN FREEPORT NY.THEY ARE ONLY ASKING 99K.
GOOD LUCK REGARDS ADAM BAD HAT:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BH, thanks for the response. I will definitely take look. Younger, for the most part I agree. However, there are more than a couple deals out there in this market. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ellsbells,

Welcome to the Barn!

I own a 2001 34 Pursuit Express and have posted some honest feelings about the boat here on the Barn. If you research some of my posts you might find some interesting stuff.

That said, your requirements were similar to mine. Your price range may still be a little shy, but a 2000 - 2002 Pursuit 34 would probably serve your purposes well and I think would be your best shot at getting a later model diesel express in that size range and anywhere close to your budget.

The 34 Pursuit Express is well built and comes from a consistently reputable builder. It was actually built by Tiara, which is Pursuit's sister company, both owned by S2 Yachts. While it is a well-built boat, with one of the most accommodating interiors of anything in its class up to some 40 footers, it is not the overly built battlewagon that say a 35 Carolina Classic would be - but not many other 35s are either. Tiara is one of the few inboard express builders that have figured out the formula for building moderate weight, efficient boats that hold up well if pushed occassionally beyond normal limits. However, if you plan to regularly push beyond those limits then you might want to look elsewhere. Those limits are not set by sea size, but by how hard you intend to push through them.

If not, you'll get the best interior accommodations in the class, 1.2 NMPG efficiency and a ride good enough to make at least 18-20kts in some seriously snotty ocean conditions. I say ocean conditions, because she does not like the steep, tight chop of shallow waters such as the Delaware Bay, but then again most boats don't.

If taking the wife and kids fishing (or anybody else for that matter), another benefit of this boat is that it squats like a duck at rest. She might not slice quite as well as some full deep V hulls, but she won't rock you to death either. Trust me, I had a true deep V before this boat and it cost me my wife's company while fishing and nearly my life on a few occassions. Full deep V's may ride better, but what's the use if you can't stop in rough seas, or the wife is puking over the side even on calm days?

As for speed with the typical 370HP Volvos, it cruises easy at 26-27kts at 2500 RPM. Top end is around 31kts at 2800 RPM and a real comfortable cruise is 23kts at 2200 RPM. If seas are rough, she'll bounce at 26-27kts, but stays firmly planted at 23. You can't just mash the throttles out of the inlet and go on this boat. She likes to be dialed into the best ride by proper trim, running angle and by gradually pushing the throttles up to the max comfortable speed for conditions. I've been able to tune her in for some fairly high running speeds in seas anywhere from 3 to 8 feet, depending on attack angle - and I'm not talking swells or following seas either. She is reasonably dry, with hardly no green water over the bow unless you let her plow.

You'll hear lots of one-line accolades or complaints for the rides of lots of other boats here on the Barn, but do yourself a favor and prove all of the positive and negative claims for yourself before deciding. I have no plans on selling my Pursuit anytime soon, so I have nothing to gain by trying to pump up its virtues or anything to lose by mentioning its shortcomings (all boats have some) - just an honest opinion from an actual owner with over 450 hours, marlin, tuna and many stripers behind her wheel.

If you are still in the market come March or April then we might be able to set up a little fishing trip if you'd like. I don't mind taking you out for a spin, as long as I'm heading out anyway. My boat is in Cape May.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SSawed, cannot thank you enough for th detailed response. There is nothing better than getting the straight skinny from an owner of a boat that you are considering. The boat that I have been looking at has 370hp Cummins. I suspect the performance would be similar out of those motors. Do you by chance know differently?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Check out Blackfin

We are on our second Blackfin. We began with a gas-guzzling 28' w/ twin 454s and moved into a 1990 32' combi (express) about 10 years ago. We absolutely love the boat!!! We repowered it with Cummins 370's 3 winters ago and it was a great investment for us. The boat is small enough for one man to run, but rides like some 34's in heavy seas. With the new engines we average about 1 mile/gallon fuel at a decent cruise of 22kts.

Some days we think about what the few larger blackfin hulls must ride like..? There are some early to mid 1990's 38' boats out there, and even a 46' I believe. The major purchasing point of Blackfin is that they could be one of the most solid built boats out there, and are known for their thick, heavy hulls, that provide an excellent ride. Those things I can back in the 32' that we own and love! Its too bad the boats aren't made anymore.

·
Registered
67 Posts
New Boat

Check out my 31 Northcoast 1991 All redone; Cats 3208 320HP cruises at 24 to 25 kts tops out at 29-30 kts. but the best attribute is it raises fish; Have won over 130,000 in tournaments in Beach Haven over last 6 years. Time for us to move up;;but I have a feeling I will miss this boat;;PS; It also has Fisher Panda diesel gen;;reverso heat and air

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
SSawed, cannot thank you enough for th detailed response. There is nothing better than getting the straight skinny from an owner of a boat that you are considering. The boat that I have been looking at has 370hp Cummins. I suspect the performance would be similar out of those motors. Do you by chance know differently?
Ells,

There are very few 34 Pursuits out there powered by Cummins. I don't have first-hand experience with a Cummins powered Pursuit, but if you search Pursuit's website you might be able to find actual factory test data. I believe they had an archive of non-current model data.

Cummins 370 should have more low end torque than the Volvo 370, so I suspect it will come up out of the hole a little quicker and with less smoke than the Volvos. I have no complaints with the Volvo 63P performance or reliability, but Volvo parts are expensive. Cummins are definitely a more popular engine, so that boat should be worth a little more.

Physical size of the Cummins 370 is bigger than the Volvo 370, so they will take up a more of that precious engine room space and the weight difference might offset any performance gains.

I am 6'2" and 250 lbs. Working in between the engines and at the rear of each engine can be a real bear if your potential boat has the genset installed in its typical location between the engines. I have since removed my original genset (it broke) and am replacing it with a new ultra compact genny that will fit outboard of the stbd engine. With that genny gone, access to every maintenance point is now a breeze and I don't have to cuss my head off anymore during filter and impeller changes:thumbsup:. I would just as soon add three more house batteries and an inverter than putting that monstrosity back in between those engines. Just something else to consider in your search.

A few other things to look for.... The original stainless exhaust elbows installed by Pursuit will develop pinholes after about 6-7 years since they were not tied into the bonding system. Not the mixer coming directly off the turbo, but the custom elbows within the exhaust run itself. Replacing those parts could be done with OTS fiberglass and hose for a few hundred bucks or a fully custom new exhaust for lots more. Tiara also doesn't like to electrically bond its trim tabs. Mine actually bent in half after purchase due to holes being eaten in the metal. Bennet provided a new set under warranty and they are now fully bonded and zinced. No more problems.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ssawed:

No need to apologize for the long post. The information that you have provided is more than I ever would have imagined getting from my initial question. It is really appreciated on this end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.