BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at some new back bay/inlet set-ups and having trouble picking my reel, considering a Cabo or a Stradic Fi, any input on which you prefer and why would be great.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We bought two Cabo's this year...they are very impressive as far as drag capability goes. The only problem I have with them is sometimes the bail doesn't click to free spool easily. When turning over to free spool it seems to stick. If that makes sense... I've heard this is a problem with them from time to time. I also heard they last a long long time, which is why we bought a them.

But for that bail reason alone, I won't be buying anymore of them personally until that is fixed.

Even at the end of the summer I had to make a choice and between another Cabo or Saragosa...needless to say I went Shimano :) Hope that helps!

·
Registered
753 Posts
For me I love my Cabo's. I have cabo's and sustain and I will never buy a shimano below a Stella as to ME I feel the Cabo is a much better reel. Cabo's Drag is freaking unreal and the sustain is left behind and as for the stradic I don't know as I never had one before but sustain is supposedly a better real than the stradic So... I do have a down side to the Cabo, is that it needs to loose some weight IMO. But other than stella I will buy a Cabo instead of there lower level reels from shimano.

I have NEVER had a bail problem ever and never even heard of that problem untill this post above me.:huh: Doesn't mean its not true, its just I have never heard of it.

Cabo and don't look back

Brian

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I would go with the shimano.
I bought one shimano in my life.
Worst drag ever.
Took it bluefishing, a 9lb blue was stripping line when had drag all the way tightened. Sent it back all they did was send it back with some quantum hot sauce.
Its only good for blackfishing in the canal at this point.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But other than stella I will buy a Cabo instead of there lower level reels from shimano.

Brian
thats kinda funny, Last year I bought a sedona from shinamo, its one of their cheap reels, well $60's cheap, its junk now, less then one year and everything is shot and I take care of my reels too

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Jim - I bought a Stradic FI 4000 this winter for back bay sods fishing. I went up to a certain tackle supplier and looked at all the reels which fell into the price range of the stradic. The new stradic is super smooth and the bail really locks into casting position (i really hate premature bail tripping). In my opinion, it was the best balanced on a 7' St Croix Premium rod that I plan to pair it with. It's interesting that everyone who has suggested the cabo over a Stardic or any shimano reel has failed to mention the stradic is a new design. If you look it up on the Shimano website you will see all the improvement made, which include a spool designed for long casts. The guys I know who have fished Cabos for the last few years sold them over the winter and replaced them with the Stradic FI.

·
Registered
753 Posts
thats kinda funny, Last year I bought a sedona from shinamo, its one of their cheap reels, well $60's cheap, its junk now, less then one year and everything is shot and I take care of my reels too
I used to buy the cheap reels too but learned a while ago its better to buy quality otherwise it WILL turn into QUANTITY.

I bought last year what I call an expensive reel. STEEZ and I am just in love with this reel. Its weighs almost nothing and is a joy to cast with. Its even over taking my Cabo's. I kind of see it this way. Cabo's are my work horses and my steez is my best friend. :p

This past year while hitting bridges I usually bring about 3 rods rigged up ready to go. When I get a hooked up and its not on my Steez I curse it that its not on my Steez and say boy that would of been awesome on my Steez.:nuts: Yeah I know it sounds crazy but till I can afford 2 or 3 more Steez's I will have to bring my Cabo's with me.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Cabo's I really really do.

Brian

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I have them both and love them both but if I was going to buy a similar reel right now and had to choose between the two I would get the Cabo.

I really want to check out the Daiwa Coastals - just have no room in the rotation for another light spinning reel. I asked in a thread on the surf forum and got no feedback on them. Has anyone fished them? Are they in the same class as the reels SIC Wit It is looking into?

RyanF

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I've got 5 Cabo's 2 of them original ,only problem has been with roller guide that freezes up UNLESS you keep it oiled
Best bail on the market and best corrosion protection

STEVE--THAT IS A HELLEVA BOAT, THE DAMN BASS WON'T HAVE ANYWHERE TO HIDE THIS SUMMER:)

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Bucktail introduced me to the cabo's and I never looked back, he does what I do, backwater style.

Bucktail,
They hide quite often on me;)
Not the fluke though:fighting:
How's Fla. going?? See you soon:bow:
I gotta replay the favors and be your cappy sometime. Show you my spots, you probably know them better than me!!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
STEVE---fishing in SW Florida SUCKS this year, a few trout but not much of anything else. It has been cold,windy and rainy for past 2 months
Huge fish kill in Jan has slowed everything down
I would bet arch will be great but I'll be home:(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.