BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
The bolts did not sheer they pulled out of the housing. Not to say the shimano took a dump also. I would have liked to know what happened to the shimano. The screws in the canyon reel looked like 10-32 or maybe 1/4-28 but short. Ya that surprised me. I wonder what canyon did to improve that. Still think they are awesome reels. 1000 LB fish have to be brutal on any tackle. Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
The canyon reel foot bolts pulled out clean. That was a brand new out of the box reel never used before and that was barly a 600 lb fish. I doubt Canyon Reels has done anyting with the design or possable problem yet, and if they have it has likely has not made it to the market place yet, as this was filmed only a few months ago.

·
Registered
34,539 Posts
The canyon reel foot bolts pulled out clean. That was a brand new out of the box reel never used before and that was barly a 600 lb fish. I doubt Canyon Reels has done anyting with the design or possable problem as this was filmed only a few months ago.
are you saying the threads on the bolts collapsed and pulled passed the nuts holding the reel to the rod? are the screws/bolts made of stainless?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The canyon reel foot bolts pulled out clean. That was a brand new out of the box reel never used before and that was barly a 600 lb fish. I doubt Canyon Reels has done anyting with the design or possable problem yet, and if they have it has likely has not made it to the market place yet, as this was filmed only a few months ago.
Yes we have fixed the issue with 1/4 through bolts attached to the main frame. Captain Fred from the show said that almost 80lbs.of drag was on the reel when they popped off and it was far from being under any normal conditions.Neverless the issue was addressed that same day and overnighted to PEI for the fix and since that over 18 giants have been caught and released up to 1,035 pounds.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I think that Canyon pretty much whipped Shimano's *** on this one. :eek::D I watched a Canyon work fine until it had much more drag pressure than that Shimano could only dream of having on it. Even when the Canyon had a problem, it was NOT with any moving parts, gears, drags and so on. All of the important parts worked perfect!!!

Sometimes it is funny to watch how different people see things. If anything, we should be talking more about a Shimano FAILING in seconds, than a Canyon being ripped off a rod at 80# plus of drag. :huh:

Shimano is the loser here, not Canyon.

Canyon has fixed this problem that maybe 5% of fishermen would have ever encountered ( most fishermen will never see a fish this big) . The problem with the Shimano may have happened on a 40# fish. It failed so quick that we will never know how much drag was on it.

Canyon has long resolved their issue and landed many giants since and prior to this recording. What has Shimano done about their much larger problem? Maybe Shimano has spent more on marketing in hopes we forget what we watched?

I am a Canyon Reel user/supporter. I will not hide that. But, I think we have some other members beating up Canyon here, that may be involved with other manufacturers as well. :huh: Canyon should be proud that these big companies are afraid of them. It just proves that Canyon is the real deal. If they were junk, nobody would spend the time to trash them. :D

Way I see it, this episode was very bad for Shimano and sort of a "reveal" for Canyon. I think alot of people are going to be asking.....Who is Canyon Reels ???? after watching the reel perform much better than a Shimano Reel. ;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think that Canyon pretty much whipped Shimano's *** on this one. :eek::D I watched a Canyon work fine until it had much more drag pressure than that Shimano could only dream of having on it. Even when the Canyon had a problem, it was NOT with any moving parts, gears, drags and so on. All of the important parts worked perfect!!!

Sometimes it is funny to watch how different people see things. If anything, we should be talking more about a Shimano FAILING in seconds, than a Canyon being ripped off a rod at 80# plus of drag. :huh:

Shimano is the loser here, not Canyon.

Canyon has fixed this problem that maybe 5% of fishermen would have ever encountered ( most fishermen will never see a fish this big) . The problem with the Shimano may have happened on a 40# fish. It failed so quick that we will never know how much drag was on it.

Canyon has long resolved their issue and landed many giants since and prior to this recording. What has Shimano done about their much larger problem? Maybe Shimano has spent more on marketing in hopes we forget what we watched?

I am a Canyon Reel user/supporter. I will not hide that. But, I think we have some other members beating up Canyon here, that may be involved with other manufacturers as well. :huh: Canyon should be proud that these big companies are afraid of them. It just proves that Canyon is the real deal. If they were junk, nobody would spend the time to trash them. :D

Way I see it, this episode was very bad for Shimano and sort of a "reveal" for Canyon. I think alot of people are going to be asking.....Who is Canyon Reels ???? after watching the reel perform much better than a Shimano Reel. ;)

WOW.......looked like that Shimano that you are ranting about was not new and "out of the box." Maybe the internals blew up because it had caught 20 other fish that season. Just saying....... We need the Seaworm to chime in here!

·
Registered
915 Posts
No personal connection at all, but I hate to see all the canyon bashing on here all the time. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like some hard working American guys just trying to break into a very tough market that has long established brands such as Penn and shimano as their competition. People are so quick too judge, but I have heard from several people which i respect that their customer service is unmatched. I have delt with Penn and their customer service is ok but nothing like what i hear about canyon. I don't think your gonna get Penn to overnight you parts. That being said I do not own any canyon reels, but have used them and if I had the money I would sell my Penns and refit with canyon, which I may do in the future. In this type of business customer service goes a long way, these guys should be at least granted a trial and error period. They seem to stand up to their problems and make good. As far as I know canyon is made in USA, am I missing something???

·
Registered
292 Posts
Even when the Canyon had a problem, it was NOT with any moving parts, gears, drags and so on. All of the important parts worked perfect!!!

All of the important parts worked perfectly? You can not be serious..

I asure you, the parts that hold the reel on the rod are VERY important and if they fail the rest of the parts no matter how good they are paper weights, and completely usless.

EVERY SINGLE PART on a reel is important. If they were not important they would not be there. A 15 cent SS crew is just as important as a 100 dollar drag washer on any reel.

For the record the Shimano was a used reel of unknown age.

I am ciourous as to what Canyon did to correct the problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.