BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A boat that has sat for 6 years since the power replacement. I came acrossed a deal at a local marina for a great buy (possibly) The boat was fully repowered as well as packing glands shafts props genset etc all replaced 6 years ago but has not been fired up since due to a death in the family that owned her. They are looking to unload the boat now...All records about winterization and fogging etc are available as well as documentation on all the upgrades. My concern is before I have a surveyor come out what should I look for that may be visible to my eye and should I shy away from the purchae due to the amount of time the boat has sat. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
First problem is the 6yr old fuel in the tanks. This has to be evacuated and replaced with fresh to seatrial the boat. No doubt she'll need batteries. Could be more than 1000.00 just get this boat ready for a seatrial. If you are going to take the chance on buying without seeing her run this should be reflected in the price.

The best thing would be if the marina who installed the engine(s) didn't start the warranty on them.

If you want to tell me who built the boat, size, year, I might be able to tell you some things to look for.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Allmands are built like tanks, but they do have lots of wood in them. Pay attention to where the stringers butt against the transom. Any where the combing panels touch the decks. And of course walk the decks feeling for soft spots. The oak framing under the decks will rot if fresh water got to them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dunk,
Thanks for the info...If I decide I want to pull the trigger I will give you a yell to do the survey.

Yes the boat did hit the water after the repower (about 20 hrs) It was late in the season so it was pulled and winterized. Not sure why it was never put back in......

I am also looking at a older Luhrs 28 ft. Still gathering info on this one I will be calling them tomorrow missed the call tonight while at my sons hockey game

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.