BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add 2 new flush mount swivel rod holders to the boat this year. I have a few areas i don't understand though. Couple points:

- It will be adding an additional rod holder in the gunwales, total of 2 currently, will be 3 with new.
- I want something I can use with bent butt and straight
- It will be the stern-most rod holders that swivel

I'm looking to do 15 degree holders vs. the 30's we have now. Will the 15's be ok to use with bent butts for giant bluefinning? I figure I can't use 0's with the straight butts, correct?

My only concern with the 15's and the bent butts is if they swivel to the side the rod will be slightly "canted" due to the angle of the rod holder.

We'll obviously be using backing plates for the rod holders.

I appreciate the help. This is confusing me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put one in (Lees) a few years ago to use with bent butt planer rod. I works great with that and regular trolling rod with no issues. I used 15 degree but I always attach a safety line to the BB.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thank you for the info! When it swings out to the side do you find the rod to be really somewhat crooked with the 15 degree holder?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I agree with what was said so far and will add, that Lee has them in 2 depth's, I used short one, I also keep lanyard for use when rod is in holder, especially short depth one. I also have the short butt rods.
I suggest you call Lee, as you can buy direct and they will answer any questions you have, as they sell a lot ot the northern guys who Wicked Tuna more then we od in NJ, and have that knowledge. They also sell ss backplates
BFJ

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
15 will give you more of a bend in the rod if your fighting from the holder.. 30 will give you more pulled hooks because less of a bend.. if i was going to fight fish from them and using bent butts i would go 0's in the corners.. thats just me though

·
Registered
434 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for the info! When it swings out to the side do you find the rod to be really somewhat crooked with the 15 degree holder?

it is mounted in the center of the stern and I use primarily for trolling so it does not swing much fighting a fish from moving boat.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you are only looking at Lee's, be sure to look into the LD's, also. They come with backing plates with a place to attach your safety line. They are highly regarded by the commercials in NE.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys.

Adam, I will check them out for sure. They seem to make some other really nice stuff.

Good news is I know the 15's won't work for me. Bad news is I will need to install another 30 and a 0 on each side if i want it to do what i want. So now I'm in a bit of a pickle.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys.

Adam, I will check them out for sure. They seem to make some other really nice stuff.

Good news is I know the 15's won't work for me. Bad news is I will need to install another 30 and a 15 on each side if i want it to do what i want. So now I'm in a bit of a pickle.
James be careful if you plan on doing it on each side of the storage box in the stern. Not much room to put them. I just installed a 0 degree and i barely made it

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James be careful if you plan on doing it on each side of the storage box in the stern. Not much room to put them. I just installed a 0 degree and i barely made it
Are you talking about putting them just forward of the hawse pipe where the dock line comes into the cleat?

Could I shoot you an email?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Are you talking about putting them just forward of the hawse pipe where the dock line comes into the cleat?

Could I shoot you an email?
Yes np. The spot by the cleat is where you want the swivel rod holder. Thats where i have mine. The spot i was talking about is the small area by the storage section in the stern. Its barely enough room to fit a normal rodholder that i just put in so will be really hard with the swivel and backing plate in my opinion

·
Registered
811 Posts
View attachment 134338 View attachment 134346

Anthony / jay- I managed to squeeze in lees miami zeroes with backing plates in the transom. The caveat....I would not trust the thickness of the glass even with the backing plates to do battle with a giant. It's ok for canyon trolling with 50's, but that's it. If the plan is to battle with a big fish on a bent butt then you should look towards the gunnels which are much thicker. Good luck.

Yes np. The spot by the cleat is where you want the swivel rod holder. Thats where i have mine. The spot i was talking about is the small area by the storage section in the stern. Its barely enough room to fit a normal rodholder that i just put in so will be really hard with the swivel and backing plate in my opinion

·
Registered
811 Posts
Zar, I agree...that's where they should go. I believe that's what Anthony was suggestin as well.Unfortunately for me it took drilling the glass to learn how thin it was. I was kinda surprised given they didn't cut corners anywhere else. On the bright side they work for me. If I went giant fishing I have chair or would go golf ball route

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Zar, I agree...that's where they should go. I believe that's what Anthony was suggestin as well.Unfortunately for me it took drilling the glass to learn how thin it was. I was kinda surprised given they didn't cut corners anywhere else. On the bright side they work for me. If I went giant fishing I have chair or would go golf ball route
Yes i thought the exact same thing. Woulnt trust it at all battling a giant but fine for cutting boards or trolling rods with 15 pounds of drag. The spot by the cleat is best for sure

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drop an egg sinker in the rod holder and call it a day James ;)
I've actually heard that. I tried the golf ball thing, at the dock, thank god LOL. It didn't fit so I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll probably do that

Yes i thought the exact same thing. Woulnt trust it at all battling a giant but fine for cutting boards or trolling rods with 15 pounds of drag. The spot by the cleat is best for sure
You guys just confirmed what I am going to do. Just like Zar said, i think I'll put them where the red dot is in this picture.

I'm putting another set of 30's in the middle and swivel 0's in the stern between the cleat chock and the first 30

1 - 20 of 20 Posts