BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been a member. I have been on a friends boat who has Sea tow and you were the duty skipper who towed us in (Great job and nice talking to you after the tow).
I have not joined because I have a $300.00 incident rider on my present insurance policy.
I have pressed this issue w/my agent and I have in writting that I can submitt receipt and be reimbursed for "up to $300 per occurance ".
I know that I must pay sea tow @ the time of towing. I have a small whaler so I do not venture further then 5 to 10 miles out front on good days. I mostly, as of now trailer, around the NJ/De/PA area.I usually never carry enough cash for a tow but assume you can accept a Good CC.
I would like your advice as to joining and dropping the rider or staying as I have it set up now. I hope this is not a conflict of interest question.
Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too have re-embursable coverage per occurance ($500) on my Foremost boat policy. How much is a typical tow for an 18 footer, say 5-10 miles out front of Cape May or Townsends Inlet? How much of an incident will $500 cover? Is it costlier for out in the bay?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Bravo Whiskey 21 said:
I have not been a member. I have been on a friends boat who has Sea tow and you were the duty skipper who towed us in (Great job and nice talking to you after the tow).
I have not joined because I have a $300.00 incident rider on my present insurance policy.

The current rate (may go up with the price of fuel is $205 and hour from the time we leave the dock till we return)....the average tow is around 1.5 hours unless you are close to where we dock and where you need to go. So you can see that $300 id pretty close to what we might charge ...depending....grounding might add another 100-300 depending on size of boat and difficulty of grounding. A tow from 10 miles out is going to average around 8 knots depending on seas and no-wake zones once back in but realistically could run an easy $500.

I have pressed this issue w/my agent and I have in writting that I can submitt receipt and be reimbursed for "up to $300 per occurance ".
I know that I must pay sea tow @ the time of towing. I have a small whaler so I do not venture further then 5 to 10 miles out front on good days. I mostly, as of now trailer, around the NJ/De/PA area.I usually never carry enough cash for a tow but assume you can accept a Good CC.

Mastercard/Visa/AMEX/Discover...at least around the Cape May area frnchise limits (may want to check in other areas but Master/Visa I'm guessing is pretty universal.

I would like your advice as to joining and dropping the rider or staying as I have it set up now. I hope this is not a conflict of interest question.
Thanks
I would say that $300 is pretty marginal...if it were $500 I would breath a little easier...it's your money so it's really your call. Most people have a higher amount and I say fine..but many get nasty grams from their insurance company if they submit more than once a season. Once you have a problem with fuel or an engine...sometimes it takes several tows and trips to the shop to get it straightened out. For $149 a year...most people like the peace of mind that we are only a phone/radio call away!!!!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Jersey Jim said:
I too have re-embursable coverage per occurance ($500) on my Foremost boat policy. How much is a typical tow for an 18 footer, say 5-10 miles out front of Cape May or Townsends Inlet? How much of an incident will $500 cover? Is it costlier for out in the bay?
See my previous post please....:D

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I was towed in 2002 from the Delaware bay about half way out to Brandywine light , back to the old ramp at harber view and the cost was in the $500 range. I had tow insurance, thank God. Don't leave home without it.:D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Another point that you may want to check on your insurance rider...does it cover fuel and oil drops???? Granted not a huge issue...but it happens..:eek:

Also Sea Tow provideds dock-to-dock services for FREE!!!!! :) :)

I'm pretty sure insurance companies DON'T cover this. This service is used A LOT by our members and often requested by non-members. The price of membership is WAY less than even the one hour minimum dock-to-dock charge. The dock-to-dock rate is less than the regular towing rate.... but still way more than you want to pay if your boat is headed to the shop for repairs!!!:( :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts