BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the cold temps.that we have been having so late this year, especially at nite will effect the minnows and crabs like it did a couple of years ago? shortages etc.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
HASN'T BEEN COLD ENOUGH TO HURT EM. They'll just be a little late. A few years ago when the bay froze over it hurt em. This winter has been mild....but it doesn't seem to want to leave

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I think it will be a good year. What a lot of people don't know is that there were signals for bad seasons on crabs and minnows. The fall prior to a bad spring and summer saw numbers drop way off. Thats when they need to fatten up for the long winter.

If Winter sets in too early then there is a problem. I still caught crabs at the end of November. When they can stay active that long into the season then it's usually a good season the next year. Bad years had crabs shutting down in late October. A very long hybernating season isn't a good sign. An early fall and late spring can be bad news.

I found blueclaws about the size of a half dollar in striper stomachs in the first week in December. The little crabs are the ones that can't take a long cold season. Just not able to store up enough fat for a long winter.

Tons of big minnows at the end of last season. They breed like rabbits so again if it looks good in the fall it should be fine in the spring.

Should be OK this year and we will know in a few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts