BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Doc - I have a serious cobia question for you.

I know you get a lot of cobia up your way so I reckoned you'd be the expert to ask.

Friends tell me that while the Florida waters limit for Turds (aka Cobia) is one per person per day 33" or bigger, they say that if you catch your turds in federal waters more than three miles off, then the limit is two per person per day.

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/Cobia/tabid/280/default.aspx

Yet the SAFMC site says that it's only one per person in Florida. So what is the deal here? If I catch my turds in fedl waters and make no stops in Fla waters on the way in to the dock, can I legally keep two turds per person?

I couldn't PM you and your email is turned off so I had to ask my question here. Sorry.

Obviously, the reason I ask is the cobia are thick as fleas on a bluetick coonhound down here right now and I was fixing to stop back by Buoy #14 off Stuart where they usually hang out.

Catch-All

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. These guys telling me this are Port Canaveral fishermen. Same area regs that apply to the Stuart area. East Coast Florida regs for inshore and SAFMC federal regs for offshore.

What with the size of some cobia, I'm sure there will be some armchair fisherman know it alls that will tell me I don't need to kill two cobes because I'll just waste the fish. Au contraire, I have an upright bait freezer that's nearly empty. I'll have plenty of room left over for fillets after I take care of myself, my friends and my neighbors with fresh cobia.

My freezer used to have so many whole bonito stacked up in there it looked like a freezer in a Sumatran Tidal Wave morgue. :D But now its empty and needs fillin'.

Catch-All

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
You need to stop fishing for species you can only keep onezies and twozies... Bring along a gas stove, a pan and some butter. Catch one.. eat one... Catch a bunch and eat a bunch and bring one home... You are allowed six swords...:eek::D

You know as well as me that our gang in gray have no sense of humor about fed vs state. They will enforce state every time and if it says one for state I wouldn't feel very good about pushing their buttons on fed technicalities...

You could get creative and fly a yellow flag. If they stop you, you tell them you are comming back from the Bahamas and that you are property of US Customs until you have cleared back in and they can't board. Get to the dock and wait. And wait. When their shif is done they will go home. If it goes over two days then you should be allowed to keep two...:D:D:D

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Forget about where you caught fish think about where you are possesing them at the time and those are the rules you have to follow. Possesion is the name of the game in fishing regulations. If you had one cobia in state waters and a freind pulled up in his boat and gave you his because he doesnt eat cobia you now possess two fish and are in violation.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
CATCH-ALL said:
Hey Doc - I have a serious cobia question for you.

I know you get a lot of cobia up your way so I reckoned you'd be the expert to ask.

Friends tell me that while the Florida waters limit for Turds (aka Cobia) is one per person per day 33" or bigger, they say that if you catch your turds in federal waters more than three miles off, then the limit is two per person per day.

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/Cobia/tabid/280/default.aspx

Yet the SAFMC site says that it's only one per person in Florida. So what is the deal here? If I catch my turds in fedl waters and make no stops in Fla waters on the way in to the dock, can I legally keep two turds per person?

I couldn't PM you and your email is turned off so I had to ask my question here. Sorry.

Obviously, the reason I ask is the cobia are thick as fleas on a bluetick coonhound down here right now and I was fixing to stop back by Buoy #14 off Stuart where they usually hang out.

Catch-All
Sorry for the late reply , been real busy. Fishing has been real bad:D
In case you and Compleat missed it
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129906

You are correct, 1 per man, but also 6 per vessel per day, which ever is least
We usually get our limit
BTW, they are thick as hell right now off the port and Ponce. about 80 feet of water, below the rays AND turtles, but they usually will swim up to the boat as well
We had two last week, one on a chicken rig baited with squid

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
COMPLEAT said:
You know as well as me that our gang in gray have no sense of humor about fed vs state. They will enforce state every time and if it says one for state I wouldn't feel very good about pushing their buttons on fed technicalities...​
Yeah, Paul, for a while there my TurdVee was a sh!tmagnet for the FWC. I got stopped 8 times in 8 trips. At first, I thought they had a report that I was coming in with bloody Manatees strapped to the bow-deck. :D (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Turns out someone I know thought it would be funny to tell FWC that I was coming back from the Bahamas with coolers full of poached fish. Next time I saw him at the boat ramp in Ft Pierce, I tuned up that SOB real good. :mad: Then I gave out all his numbers to everyone I know. Haven't heard a peep since. ;)

Catch-All

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Silver Star said:
Is Cobia good eating? What other fish does it taste like? What is the best way to cook Cobia?

thank you in advance for your input
It's awesome, think the Ling family
I blacken mine, tastes like grouper

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, turds are very good eating. Some of the best. "You are what you eat" and all the turds eat for the most part are crabs and other crustaceans.

I like to steak them and grill 'em on the BBQ.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
CATCH-ALL said:
yeah, turds are very good eating. Some of the best. "You are what you eat" and all the turds eat for the most part are crabs and other crustaceans.

I like to steak them and grill 'em on the BBQ.
That eat a ton of squid too don't they:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts