BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunk, sorry to bother you but I need some advice. I am restoring a 1987 23 Gulf stream and had the bottom soda blasted. Before I paint the bottom I wanted to know your opinion about any Prep that may be required. I saw a post about a barrier coat but did not know if it is needed.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
John

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
John, I would have it installed. I did mine when it was stripped down. All the bottoms we strip we always recommend it to be barrier coated. Some say its a waste as there is water in the bilge of the boat and this is not barrier coated. By the way the Hydra Sport is all done.

·
Registered
77,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Joe. I’ll call you this morning.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Sorry Dunk...stealing a bit of your thunder but BBs broke the ice first....;) :D

The barrier coat is really only to slow (as prevention is almost impossible) water intrusion into the fiberglass. The main reason to add one is if the original gel coat has been disturbed.

Many boats from the late 90s and most now (I would hope) are made of vinylester resin instead of polyester resin which resists water intrusion about half as much as polyester but still way more than epoxy. That's why most barrier coats are epoxy based...other than getting it to stick over almost anything else too!!!! Gel coat is more water resistant than plain resin.... so if disturbed...it's like the original barrier coat is broken so that's why you add one.

As for water inside the hull...that's true but hopefully it is only in a small area (I used to vacuum mine out all the time when I lived on my sportfish...kept the boat dry and smelling much better and less rust in the bilges)...plus the water on the outside is being forced into the pores with way more pressure...granted that should only account for a small portion of absorption...but it does accelerate it I believe. Some people gel /barrier coat the inside of their hulls too...especially on larger boats that live in the water year round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts