BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

I was intruiged by the little net you sold to a fellow member for catching grass shrimp. I'm not familiar with this practice, and wondered if you could shed some light on it for me.

I've trid seining for them up here in the tuckerton area, but I end up with 500 Killies and spearing and half a cup of grass shrimp. How does your net work?

Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not sure what the net looked like that your talking about, but there have been posts in the past on the subject. I tried to get some last year but got frustrated after 5 min and gave up (short attention span).
My take on it is take a thin mesh net and scrape pilings and the bottom of docks where there is grass growing and voila! Nothing- at least that's what I got.
I heard it works though.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
The net is a square mesh four spoked umbrella drop net. Just put the frame together and bait up. Grass shrimp are all over the shallow waters. They also seem to be very hungry all the time.

I found out long ago that placing the bait in the bottom of the net was a mistake. Crabs would move in and tear at the bait and also tear up the net. Now I take a small crab bait clip and tie it to the center of the frame so it hangs above the mesh net. Crabs still get to the bait but thats all they tear up.

Just drop the net along a bulkhead in a few feet of water and the grass shrimp will move in. I bait up with a piece of bunker because the oily scent will pull them in.

How many shrimp you catch depends on how long you try. Some days you can load up while other days not as many. I take a small bucket and keep dumping them in. When I finish I pour them into a plastic bag and fill it with enough sea water to cover the shrimp. I stick them in the freezer and the water prevents them from turning red. After each trip I just add shrimp and water to the same bag.

It's great fun for the kids. Besides shrimp you will also catch crabs and many fish. One time my friends daughter caught a two and a half pound flounder at the dock with the drop net.

Right now at about half tide it looks like a traffic jam on I95 against our bulkhead. Nothing but grass shrimp going back and forth.

The nets run about $20.00 and if taken care of will last for years. The frame folds up to about the size of an umbrella for easy storage.

The great feature about the net is it's instant. There isn't a trap with openings to go through. Just a piece of bait hanging over a four foot net.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Great Information Fred,, Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fred,

I like the sound of that, and I'm game to try things. I'm going to have to take a run down, say hi and buy me one of them.

Thanks you very much for the thoughtful reply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts