BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill I'm watching the blackfish show(great show by the way) as I type this and was wondering abut the crabs.
I noticed when you put them on the hook you leave the legs on it.
Is this a preference for you?
The reason I ask is, when I first tog fished(and I have only tog fished once this past December) the captain suggested snipping the legs so the fish didn't have them to grab onto and steal your bait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
R401k Angler said:
Bill I'm watching the blackfish show(great show by the way) as I type this and was wondering abut the crabs.
I noticed when you put them on the hook you leave the legs on it.
Is this a preference for you?
The reason I ask is, when I first tog fished(and I have only tog fished once this past December) the captain suggested snipping the legs so the fish didn't have them to grab onto and steal your bait.
I've never bothered pulling the legs off the crabs, but then again I also tend to get frustrated trying to hook blackfish, so maybe the two are related!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
950 Posts
Bill, I think you & your show are fantastic, It is NOT every day the you can request information from a person who has their own TV show & talk to them on line, you always seem to get back to all the request on the Bass Barn within hours. Because of that, I will subscribe to NJ Angler tonight. NJ Angler is without the best fishing show on TV. P.S. I like the idea that you keep the show down to earth, not everybody are millionaires and can travel the world in search of fish.

Thanks Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,828 Posts
NJAngler Bill said:
I've never bothered pulling the legs off the crabs, but then again I also tend to get frustrated trying to hook blackfish, so maybe the two are related!
an old timer once told me the trick is to set the hook just before you feel the strike...;)

now that I qualify as an "old timer" I still havent figured it out yet!!!!! but it is sure fun trying.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,251 Posts
R401k Angler said:
Bill I'm watching the blackfish show(great show by the way) as I type this and was wondering abut the crabs.
I noticed when you put them on the hook you leave the legs on it.
Is this a preference for you?
The reason I ask is, when I first tog fished(and I have only tog fished once this past December) the captain suggested snipping the legs so the fish didn't have them to grab onto and steal your bait.
sometimes I leave the legs on, sometimes I cut them off, you dont want to pull them cause you loose to much meat. some times the bigger fish hit with the legs on, sometimes you wont get touched, it changes day to day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Hi Bill, It was pleasure meeting you and Darren at the AC boat show. I appreciated the time you and Darren spent talking to me and listening to my comments. Your magazine and show are the most informative in the business. Talking with and Darren was like talking to fellow anglers at the dock. Keep up the great work with the magazine and the show and thanks for your editorials and involvement in standing up for our sport. I'm the guy moving up to the World Cat. Thanks again. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Hey Bill:

Do you have any experience with the CWCrab artificial crabs? I bought a bunch of them and can't wait to try them out.

I'm looking forward to you and Darrin coming to Harry's this month. Sean is a good friend who I fish with.

Has anyone else had experience with these artificial crabs?

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
RobaloFrank said:
Hey Bill:

Do you have any experience with the CWCrab artificial crabs? I bought a bunch of them and can't wait to try them out.

I'm looking forward to you and Darrin coming to Harry's this month. Sean is a good friend who I fish with.

Has anyone else had experience with these artificial crabs?

Frank
I don't have any experience with CWcrabs, but my crew & I tried the gulp crabs last fall. They couldn't compete with the real thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,251 Posts
Creek Duck said:
. They couldn't compete with the real thing.
i like to put the gulp crabs on after my real crab, it holds the bait on , and i know if i do get picked, at least i have something on my hook, i dont do it often but when i have them with me, this is how i utilize them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
Darren and I really appreciate the kind words, and do the rest of the magazine staff. It's a tremendous amount of work, but honestly its feedback like this that makes it all worthwhile for us.

A number of you asked about the CW Crab. That lure is very intriguing to me. It's not really designed for blackfish, but instead it's intended to be fished like a plug. I do have some water time with it, and it swims great. I have taken fluke, small weakfish and bluefish on it, but haven't used it enough yet to go into great detail. However, some associates of mine have had tremendous success with bass by swimming it along the edges of the flats behind Barnegat Inlet and along the north jetty there, and I know Crazy Alberto Knie has used it to catch some pretty darn impressive weakfish up north. I definitely plan on spending more "quality time" with that lure this spring and summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
zar2754 said:
how did the inline hook rig compare to the traditional rig in terms of numbers??? just curious.

thanks
josh
josh,
I think it is simply a matter of preference. I love the inline rig, I feel like I hook more fish that way, but others hook just as many with the dropper rig setup. It is like anything in fishing, if you have confidence in it, it will work. but if you would like to try this rig, come see us at the Saltwater Fishing Expo in Somerset, March 14-16th and I will show you how to tie it up! We are sort of doing seminars on demand at that show.
NJANGLERDARREN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
CWCrab

NJANGLERDARREN said:
josh,
I think it is simply a matter of preference. I love the inline rig, I feel like I hook more fish that way, but others hook just as many with the dropper rig setup. It is like anything in fishing, if you have confidence in it, it will work. but if you would like to try this rig, come see us at the Saltwater Fishing Expo in Somerset, March 14-16th and I will show you how to tie it up! We are sort of doing seminars on demand at that show.
NJANGLERDARREN
Thanks guys!
I'm going out on Thursday for striper. I'm going to try one of these on a separate pole just to see what happens. If it does, I'll report back.

Frank
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top