BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By code they all have to have a common ground. It's usualy the larger "L" shaped prong on the shore power plug.

Man those guys down south reallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy dont know what they are doing :razz::razz:
No I wasn't talkin' bout my boat. :rolleyes::D Maybe I should have been clearer. The Viking shore power cord male plugs have two prongs only-Hot & neutral. :huh:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I checked in the code book, you must have a safety ground.... I wouldn't mind seeing this and getting some explanations.... any pictures??
I will take some pics and post next time I get down to Cape May. I don't understand it either. When I first starting on the Marlin Hunter 4 years ago, I thought a prong was broken off of the male end, but apparently that is how it is with Viking and that is how their shore power cords come.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
does the connector have a large metal ring around the body of it?? If so, they might be using that for a ground. I wouldn't want to have to replace one of those!! The plain Hubbel / Marinco ones are ungodly expensive to start with, let alone something no one is going to stock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's most likely from the way they chose to wire the iso boost/transformer. they can be connected a few diff. ways depending on how the system is set up. Most corrosion problems start from poor grounding between shore and boat, this eliminates that, the earth is ground, shore side the nuetral is common to the ground.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
It's most likely from the way they chose to wire the iso boost/transformer. they can be connected a few diff. ways depending on how the system is set up. Most corrosion problems start from poor grounding between shore and boat, this eliminates that, the earth is ground, shore side the nuetral is common to the ground.
You MUST have a ground in the shore power cable itself, no if ands or butts.

Isolation transformers have the grounds separated on the transformer itself. Using a nuetral as a common ground would be completly opposite of what a isolation transformer does.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boats equiped with isolation transformers are considerd seperately derived systems .On the secondary side of the transformer nuetral and ground are made , having no relationship to shore power ground .Therefore no stray currents can enter the boat via the shore power cord ground.This is why they are called isolation transformers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.