BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I experimented with chumming (again) while wading the back bay and sod bank areas. (I used to do this alot during my bait and plugging days as a teenager.) What I would do is wrap up a frozen chunk of chum in a mesh bag and tie it with a 10 ft rope to my belt. When I got to my location I would toss it in and let it do what it does best. If I wanted to move I would pull it out and carry it to my next destination. This year some of my most productive nights came from doing this.

Does anyone else out there do things like this and if so how?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I've never chummed sod banks but I kow Gene Quigley has had good success tossing live grass shrimp along the sods behind IBSP for weakfish.

Saw a video he made at an ASWF meetng and the action was crazy!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Dave Got to admit I never thought of, or heard of this. Would be interested in some more imput. Ron

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Not that it isn't a good idea to chum while fishing, but remember what happened to fish counsler when he was out at the inlet last year. A six foot brown shark grabbed a weakfish on his stringer while it was attached to him. He was not chunking either. Just something to think about before you experiment....

·
Banned
964 Posts
I had good results doing something similar (carried a bucket of grass shrip or diced squid and tossed handfulls of chunk)...

But I'll admit, only once did I have the whippy-stick.. mostly it was plugging or tossing 'tails..

It's a good technique.. key is timing the current, and to some extent, wi#@$... can't have your chunk blowing away or washing downstream.

Pretty cool when you can keep your own little weakie blitz going 10' in front of you..

My fun was all in the backs behind WW and even inside some marinas in Cape May Harbor. Pretty cool when you don't even have to walk a bug-infested bed to get to them...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grim, not to worry the mesh I'm using could be torn threw like a wet paper towel. ;)

I'm also thinking about making one of the connections tear away (most likely the connection at the belt). not sure how I will do this but I was thinking of the magnetic net holder thing that most fly catalogs use.

Like I said It worked for me last year when nothing else was going on.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I wouldn't carry chum around that way while in the water. I have had a few run ins with fish on stringer before. Not too much fun to have a big fin swimming around you with free hand outs.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Dave just wanted to make you aware thats all....I had a 5 1/2ft brown go over my shoes at Corsons one night and it scared the crap out of me because when I saw it, it was already going over my boots....what a sight when it is dark and quite and then look down and there it is out of nowhere....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grim and Ray. I understand fully. Truthfully when wading at night I dont go out over my knee. Most of the time I've used this method while on sod banks and the conection to my belt has always been hooked on with some sort of easy opening hook. The magnetic net holder I mentioned above releases with a minimum amount of pressure so I'm leaning that way for a new set up.

Like I said above this method does work when things are slow. I've caught stripers, blues, weaks, fluke and other sorts of "non desirable" spieces. I'm just trying to steamline the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts