BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shark fishing before out of Cape May on a charter, however now I'm going to prepare the trip myself and I have few question that do not involve locations.

1- What type of bait and where should I get it in Cape May. Should I get a flat of mackeral or frozen bunker? then get some bluefish while underway.

2 - Hook size ques 10/0 and above. Crimped to what pound wire? I was thinking the soft wire.

3- What type of chum, specific name and amount and where can I get it in Cape May.

These arent that intrusive questions are they?

Any comments suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Stop at off the Hook and Chuck will have everything you need.

We usually dont buy a flat of mackeral or bunker, but instead we get the vaccum packed ones. We get both but in general - we use mackeral and blues for mako's and bunker and blues for threshers.

If we get a few floats - its to add to the slick and not usually for bait.

Chuck sells Lunds chum which is good. Again - mackeral for mako's and bunker for threshers. (Not a rule or anything - but seems to work)

As far as amount of chum - we go a little crazy - we bring a lot. I think more than most people. Chuck would be able to tell you how much MOST people bring out( probably 1-3 buckets, we bring a lot because we know if we have any left over(and we managed to keep it frozen) , we will use it the next day, pr week so we always have plenty out there. I think it depends on how long you want to stick it out. We have bought 6 buckets and caught a mako in the first hour - and we have bought 3 buckets and by 3pm wish we had planned for a longer day.

I know a few guys at my marina I see leaving with 1 bucket for the day

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Marine Tom, I'm not an expert by no means, but we have done fairly well.

I take 4 5 gal. buckets of chum, bunker, mackeral and bluefish.
Several flats of bunker ( frozen ), cut up for chunking.

If you can troll up some blue fish they will work as well, small ones can be used for live bait. The others I fillet and hang the rest over board tied to a cleat.

I use 49 Strand 295# test with 495# wire, 10/0 hook is good.

I get my bait at Scotts B&T in Mystic, but you have plenty of shops down your way, check em out, they also have plenty of advice as well.

Good hunting and I'm sure you will get more respnses from some more great shark hunters.

Jim

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sharking reply

I have a few thing's you might try it works for us. We try to stay away from cable rigs. We are under the impression as many others are that most of the sharks we target don't like cable the myth is it puts of a bad vibe in the water. We use mackeral chum and a bunker oil drip bottle it puts out a good slick. Bluefish is the #1 bait for us whole and in strips. Also for Makos we use a blufish strip with a whole trolling squid and rattle and skirt on a single 12/0 hook this also works good as a pitch bait. Red & Black or Purple & Black for the skirts. Live blues get rigged with tandem or tripple hooks depending on size just be sure you don't hamper his ability the swim. A 9/0 or 10/0 behind the head works good with a larger 11/ or 12/0 trailer. we have caught alot of Makos on our mono sword fish rigs also. We will be trying more of these this year. The longliners have been catching sharks on mono for years. Water temp we like 65 to 70 but ask 5 people get 5 different answers. And the one thing we always do is put our chum in bags over the side buckets beat up the hull and mix a drum on deck and laddel our chum this way we can add to our slick if we see a fish back in it. Depending on your boat size fish 4 lines one deep long one short High on floats the others in between and keep a pitch bait many times the big ones come check the boat out first and you will be ready. Good Luck hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
As posted, buckets beat up the hull - but I hate chum bags.

Take a milk crate (old school orange kind) and use wire ties to cover the outside edges with pipe insulation. Then tie a line to each of the 4 sides up to a large stainless knuckle connect all 4 lines at the knuckle. Then tie a line at the top of the knuckle. Use this line to tie off to the boat.

Tie the milk crate off to the boat - drop your 5 gallon chum upside down in the milk crate and lower the crate until it id 20-30 percent in the water (depending on conditions).

Pipe insulation protects the crate from bouncing on the hull and the crate is EASY to drop in and out. Also easy to adjust how much you want in the water.

Holds up and lasts forever. Dirt cheap. Functional.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sean, Hat and Mike, thanks that's exactly what I was asking.

I'm familiar with all the bait shop mentioned and shop them plenty, I should have no problems now.

Last question, These bait shops will have flats for sale? Mack and bunker?

5 gal chum buckets have holes in them already?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Marine Tom said:

I'm familiar with all the bait shop mentioned and shop them plenty, I should have no problems now.

Thanks again.
YOU FISHING ON YOUR BOAT OR A FRIENDS??

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Yes they sell flats.

No holes in the buckets.

We just pop the lid - drip it in the crate upside down.

Some guys pop the lid and drop it in a chum bag - a lot of people cut holes all over (big pain in the a$$).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sean Manni said:
As posted, buckets beat up the hull - but I hate chum bags.

Take a milk crate (old school orange kind) and use wire ties to cover the outside edges with pipe insulation. Then tie a line to each of the 4 sides up to a large stainless knuckle connect all 4 lines at the knuckle. Then tie a line at the top of the knuckle. Use this line to tie off to the boat.

Tie the milk crate off to the boat - drop your 5 gallon chum upside down in the milk crate and lower the crate until it id 20-30 percent in the water (depending on conditions).

pipe insulation protects the crate from bouncing on the hull and the crate is EASY to drop in and out. Also easy to adjust how much you want in the water.

Holds up and lasts forever. Dirt cheap. Functional.

Sean, I wonder who gave you the crate idea? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have made a few of these crates and they are the way to go You will not damage your boat and they will last a long time. The first one I built over eight years ago is still being used.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Marine Tom - If you buy the premade rigs by Blacks they are ready to go. We use the wire and cable rig with usually a 10/0 hook. I like to make my owe rigs but we also use the Black's rigs. It's a good idea to add a skirt to at least one of the rigs. Run at least one rig with a skirt, one w/o a skirt and add a rattle to at least one of the rigs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a question if no one minds me throwing it in here. When you have a bucket of chum in, do you recommend chunking up either blues/bunker/macks as well? Does it help or does it just feed whats following the boat like shark or dolphin?

And one more. Bunker oil. where do i get it, how much is it, and how do i use the stuff? I hear it works wonders

·
Registered
543 Posts
Team Mayhem - Yes to both questions. I always cut up chunks of macks and blues. I also make a nice soup of a little bit of everything and ladle that along with the chum bucket. We also use bunker oil either by a drip bag or out of janitor's style spray bottle. The oil is cheap I think it's about $15 for a quart, you can also get it in a gallon size. A bottle will last for several trips

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
A few chunks thrown every so often is fine, but as you mentioned, you don't want to overfeed whatever may be in your slick. I tend to stick to just chum (mackeral and bunker), and Menhaden oil. If you can save some Tuna racks, you will be in the pink...they are the cat's meow when it comes to sharkin.

You can find Menhaden oil at pretty much any reputable tackle shop...and it definitely helps. You will be able to get a gallon in the neighborhood of 15-20 bucks. A gallon lasts longer than you think too. Fill a water bottle up (some people use IV fluid bags) and hang it off a cleat or whatever you want. Slice a few small holes in the bottle and it will do it's thing. By using this system you will have a constant drip of oil. Don't make the holes too big, a simple slice with a knife is perfect.

Be very careful when pouring this stuff...YOU DO NOT WANT IT ON YOUR PIT FLOOR. I recommend pouring it into the bottle OUTSIDE of the boat...The stuff is slicker then wet whale **** and it could potentially put you and your crew in a bad situation especially once all hell breaks loose on a hook up. For this reason, its a good idea to bring a bottle of degreasing spray just incase you do spill some in the pit.

Good luck, catch em up!

Brian
Pez Machine Sportfishing
www.pezmachine.com

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Lushes Too said:
Sean, I wonder who gave you the crate idea? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have made a few of these crates and they are the way to go You will not damage your boat and they will last a long time. The first one I built over eight years ago is still being used.

rich - you get full credit for the crate!

Team Mayhem - YES - we chunk bait up the whole time. Rich (lushes too) is famous for his "soup". He is our bait guru and the whole time he is rigging baits, he is adding to his soup with blood, guts, SMALL chunks. When he feels the time is right, he starts ladling the "SOUP" out. Problem is, when he gets hungry, he starts eating the soup and not enough makes it into the slick:D Plenty of oil (menhaden) in the soup - its cheap and helps the slick.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks guys, hope your tips get me a big one this year. We got a lot last year, just browns, duskys, and a small tiger(31 total), nothing bigger than 125 im guessing. Im dying for something that will scare me, thats what im looking for. Itll take a lot of trips but we've seen some weird stuff out there and we didnt go more than 10 times. Gonna head out to 28mile and the cigar on a few really flat days, weve been in 105ft 15off in a finger of deep water for all of last year. We're getting greedy and want more!

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Marine Tom said:
Jack, My own boat.
DON'T FORGET THE GHETTO SHARKING FROM 4 TO 10 MILES OUT OF CAPE MAY.LAST YEAR IT WAS GOOD FROM MID~MAY TILL SEPT. WITH A LITTLE SLACK OFF FOR A COUPLE WEEKS IN MAY.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Marine Tom said:

Thanks again.
Tom.....you can also bring a cordless drill with a 1" drill bit and drill holes in the bucket of you don't wanna pop the lid. Upside down in a milk crate will work just fine also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts