BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently wrapped a rod, finally got epoxy (flex coat) to look great, came out nice and clear-got the bubbles out- leveled awesome-thought all went well-took the rod out for some offshore cod and last night for some walleye-and today when I looked at my wraps-I noticed the Flex coat has already began to flake and separate from the blank at the guide feet! and in a couple spots along the cut-line of the application- I dont like this one bit! one of my pet peeves with factory rods-how do I stop this from happening??? The blank had a high-gloss finish from the factory-which I think is the reason, but I've only been wrapping for 6 months-always thought flex coat was good-should I try trondak??? what the hell...any input would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like it could be a few things...One is where the guide feet grinded down to make a even transition of the thread from the blank to the rod? That is assuming that you were not just recoating a rod....2 If you were just refinishing did you clean the rod well where te finish was applied? If there are any particals etc there they may cause the finish not to bod properly. And last but not least the mixture of the flex coat if you put to much hardner in it will flake and crack....That is all in my experience anyway. Hope this helped some....Also another thing just thinking out loud here but if the guide placement is not correct the feet of the guide flex when under a severe load which is possible if the rod got overloaded

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice

thank you for your advice-The rod did get over loaded both fishing for walleye and being hookd on a wreck-I'm pretty sure my mix was dead on-and I think the blanks extra fast action-is putting too much strain on the five guides I have installed-I think the next extra fast action blank I wrap I will put 7 or 8 guides-the five worked well on my medium actions, clearly I need more-building rods is almost as fun as fishing!!! ty again...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You didn't mention the length of the rod, but it sounds like you do not have enough guides and they're placement may be wrong.

K

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Tape the guides in place, tape a reel on, run line thru the guides and flex the rod. If the line touches the blank anywhere add another small guide to the tip area and move the others back. If the line drops below the rod you proably need two guides.
Once you get an eye for this you can flex the blank and see it with you eye. I used to assume 1 guide per foot of blank length for conventional and one less than blank length for spinning. It's just a starting place. Stiffness comes into play. Just be sure to spline the blank first and set your guides accordingly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the spline is everything I agree-I did all that-test casted it-loaded it up-it all looked awesome until I saw the cracking-I mean its only minor minor flaking not cracking-Was just wondering if there was some ways to stop this from happening-the line never touched the rod-it is an rclb80xl 8'-tied for spinning reels- I'm pretty sure The fast action-combined with the glossy finish-combined with only 5 guides is the culprit-as I tied up 2 medium action sw967 & sw967f with only 4 guides, caught 30-50 nice bass on each, and it didn't happen-I'll never buy a glossy blank again-And I defintely dont agree with grinding feet down (I buy pre-ground with a good anodized coating-grinding the feet makes them corrode away too quickly) -my favoraite 8'er ever is a g-loomis 965-that has 5 guides- I also was very fond of my daiwa saltiga 9'er and it only has 3 guides-obviously for spinning rods-the number of guides should be relative to the action of the blank-this was a good lesson - thx boys!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Kind of unrelated, but nextime avoid flex coat. It yellows the worst of any of the finishes out there. Doesnt matter if you're wrapping in black, but with any kind of other color...its going to disappoint. Billy Vivona of the NERBs put tiles with all the different finishes out in the sun for a month; flexcoat was by far the worst

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have never had an issue with grinding the feet down. I have rods I built 30 years ago that haven't corroded. If you apply the finish properly they'll be fine.
With a spinning rod, the line should follow the bend of the rod. If you have any flat spots, that is where the rod is bent but the line is flat from guide to guide, ya need another guide. Better to have too many than not enough.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Agree with the above statement, you can never have too many guides.

As for epoxy, we use Aftcoat made by Aftco. It is one of the better finishes for not yellowing. It has a longer set up time, but the end result is worth the wait.

K

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks guys for the great info. Working on my first presently and above is very interesting. I'm hoping my Mudhole kit guide placement chart is correct. Anyone try one of their kits? I have a 7 ft MHX two-piece.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
mhx kit

I have yet to find a blank that isnt awesome-all my rods completly blow anything on the shelf away-I think any blank can be made into a killer rod-I'm sure the MHX blanks are great-and I cant wait to try one myself-my biggest problem building is I just cant wait to see the finished product-so my novice advice to you is dont rush-patience is even more important in rod building then on the water! Like I said rod-building is almost as fun as fishing!

And I disagree about the guides-when you fish the jettys-and land big fish a lot-its easier to look after 5 guides then ten-3 than 4-guides are going to break-and I definetly perfer medium actions with 3-5 big guides so I can clearly see the cracks and swap them out as needed. I think the lamiglass-ron arra is a perfect guide set up for surf and jetty fishing-and a great example of a killer surf guide set-up, there's 4 on the 8'6"-also less guides load the rod better-and fling plugs farther-My home-made tuna rods have-7-9 guides-And I agree you cant have too many guides on a tuna-or casting rod-but surf fishing is what I do most-and I dig the 3-5 guide set ups-for 7'6"-9' surf rods-And Im still wary of grinding the feet down-its just all the rods I ever bought have corrosion under the wraps-how many hours on the water do your 30 year old rods have??? I'll try the aftco next-will it stick better too? aftco products are usually superior...right? but This is becoming a great thread-thx for the opinions of everyone...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Problem is, if you don't grind guide feet, they won't flex at the ends as the blank bends, and then they crack the finish. Coat the grinded guide feet with nail polish if your that worried.

I've been using LS Supreme, like the way it goes down. Have heard very good things about Mudhole's ProKote as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm

well next time, I'll try doing that and see, read that you grind the feet only to have a smooth transition of thread from blank to guide foot-I figured since fugi guides have that tapered angle on the ends of the feet-that ends up perfectly flush against the blank or underwrap, and wrap awesome, that they were intended to be wrapped as is, leaving a nice anodized coating under the wraps (forecast guides and s.s.guides I bought were not like this-so I had to grind them for proper wrapping)-so your saying the feet should flex-first time I heard that-like I said I've only been wrapping for 6 months, ....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks guys for the great info. Working on my first presently and above is very interesting. I'm hoping my Mudhole kit guide placement chart is correct. Anyone try one of their kits? I have a 7 ft MHX two-piece.
I haven't tried their kits but have build a dozen or two mhx blanks and they are killer...I have them in sizes from ultralight to heavy baitcasting rods. I have used their guide charts on a few of the rods with success but I usually let the blank tell me where it wants it's guides.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Problem is, if you don't grind guide feet, they won't flex at the ends as the blank bends, and then they crack the finish. Coat the grinded guide feet with nail polish if your that worried.

I've been using LS Supreme, like the way it goes down. Have heard very good things about Mudhole's ProKote as well.
I've used prokote on most of my rods...it's not forgiving with poor mixing and does tend to bubble...but hats what they make alcohol torches for...I like the stuff and will continue to use it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.