BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the back bay waters are nearly 80, I was thinking about spending a few hours after dusk in the back. I was wondering if anyone every does this and if so: what kind of sharks could you expect, what is a good set-up (# test line, wire, hook size?), best tide, and are any of the sharks edible?

Thanks in advance

~Twister

[ 07-27-2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Twister ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You'll get brownies this time of year in the back, along with the ever-present dogfish/sandsharks. You never really know what you'll hook in 80+ degree water

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I have seen some impressive Sharks under the
Lights of the Rush Chattin Bridge at Night...
Guys target them with Heavy Outfits which includes
Big Hooks,Wire Leaders and 50+lb Test Line...
They use Big Chunks of Bait (Mackeral,Bunker
and Herring etc.) for them...

Good Luck

[ 07-26-2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Twister! I saw some guys in a 25 grady last year chunking for sharks near the end of flat creek. We were skiing and at first thought they were maybe chunking for bass. As we got closer, I could see they had like 30lb tuna gear. Still wasn't sure they were sharking until we saw one following my daughters boyfriend as he was swimming around in the water! They appeared to be maybe 50 or 60 lbs and did see one of the guys in the grady get pulled all around the cockpit before the line broke.

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
I don't know about the back bays but we just caught a couple of nice brown sharks on Cuma Lump outside of Corsons Inlet. One was 41" and the other was about 5 feet but he snapped the line at the boat and we didn't measure him. Mackerel is a great bait and chumming helps quite a bit. for brownies I use big, wire rigged bluefish hooks. I would also use several feet of a tough leader material....maybe 80lb flouro as they can and will snap your line with their tails. I use Penn 320s with 40lb Powerpro. I've also caught them with 20lb spinning gear but it takes a while longer. Good luck.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is not uncommon to see sharks cruising by the Deauville Restaurant in Stathmere. I have seen them cruising right down by people's homes while people are hanging on the sandbar by the marsh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
we kept a boat in seaside years ago (1975) and saw a huge 10' hammerhead in Tices shoal.. barnegat bay.. big anchor up and party spot for the sailing crowd. clamming folks too

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the 70's, used to fish for sharks at night behind OC. The hot spot then was the 9th St bridge because Chris's & Hogates-2 seafood restaurants were there. A big hunk of bunker was the answer for mainly browns up to 8 ft. The Longport bridge, I hear, still produces some big boys. Scott M's got the rigging right, just don't waste money on fluoro if you are fishing at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts