BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the past week or so from the surf the bass have been acting, well, a bit different. I've had at least 5 occasions where the bass have hit my bait and then run straight at the beach. By the time I reel in my slack to set the hook they're gone. Now my question is this. I know with freshwater fishing when a bass hits the bait it tends to head back in the direction it came from. It's current "home" so to speak. Do you think that it's the same with the stripers? Are they in closer to shore and going out to get my bait, then heading back to their spot? It's been quite frustrating because as I've said, this has happened numerous times. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm wondering if I should be focusing a little more attention on the suds. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can't hurt to give it a try. The logic seems to be there. Maybe it thinks that there's more bait there with your lure and it's trying to push it to more shallow/turbulent waters :confused:

Let me know if the technique pays off, I'm always interested in learnin new tricks.

Good luck

Prof I had to edit your posts due to your signature containing links to personal/other websites. We only allow paying advertisers to put links in there sigs. All other members we ask not to do so. Hopefully you understand that if we allowed everyone to add links it would be impossible to control what those links connected to. Please remove it for future posts. Thanks for your cooperation in advance. RodFather

[ 11-25-2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I know fishing at night they are in closer. I learned that by accident one night. Just got to the beach, made a short cast just to straighten a loop and got hit in the wash. Changed my entire approach about plugging at night.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, since I typically use two rods when fishing I'll start casting one in closer and see if it pays off. I'll keep ya updated Prof. And that's good to know that they seem to be in closer during the nighttime 2dogs, thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Cam, you are obviously bait fishing. There is only one solution to your issue. Hold the rod! There is rarely a rhyme or reason for why a fish takes your bait in or out. I find that the slack in occurs much more frequently at night.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
HAPPENS A LOT ON THE INCOMMING TIDE WHEN THERE COMMING IN OVER THE BAR.
MY NORMAL SET UP IS A 5/0 OWER MUTU LITE WITH A 4 T0 6 OZ SPUTNIK IF THE SPUTNIK IS SUNKIN SAND
IT SETS THE HOOK FOR YOU!! AND IT ALL OVER.
I DO NOT USE FISH FINDER RIGS FOR THIS.
MOST OF THE TIME I USE 40LB. FLORO AND A DROPER LOOP.
IF YOUR USING BUNKER YOU WILL HAVE TO USE SMALLER CHUNCKS.
NEVER A PROB. WITH CLAM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts