BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I have been debated about the use of elastic thread on baits - we really need wet a line soon:D My dad never uses it for baits like clams or finger mullet, etc. because he says fish like fluke or stripers can tell it is tied down and pick up the resistance even on fishfinder rig.

I use it a lot because I feel it keeps the bait on the hook longer even when crabs are yanking on it. I believe fish are going to hit it hard because it is not like they are picking the bait up in still water so feeling resistance on the line is so slight it is not going to stop a strike. I tend to tie mine down like you see on a pork roast.

Our catch rates are about equal.

So, what are thoughts on elastic thread.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I always use it, IMO doesn't bother the bass at all. I personally change the thread each bait, others leave it on for the scent. The bass don't know what thread is so they think it's a worm, a delicious little worm.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It doesn't make a difference. I use it and still catch good amount of bass.

·
Registered
63 Posts
More benefits out weigh the risk of using thread. Kinda hard launching clam from the surf without thread, and I know bass don't like circle hooks alone for their bait of choice. "I Say Thread Away":thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
stripers will eat pieces of broom handle with large sharp hooks hanging from them; a little string is not gonna put them off!!:)

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Just don't knit a sweater with it... a couple wraps are plenty and willl not effect the bait.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies. I am not going to tell my dad that a lot of guys use thread. Just easier to pick up up some extra bait and listen to him say they are really hammering the bait today when he pulls in an empty rig.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Fishing the back and the flats I do not use it cause you dont need it. Out front I always use it and have caught just as many fish as the guy next to me not using it, but use alot less clams.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.