BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been removing my electronics (gps and fish finder) at the end of every trip, should I be covering or wrapping up the plugs to avoid them getting moisture or corrosion:confused:

Thanks!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I remove mine also each trip and i cover the plugs in a zip lock bag and a rubber band just to keep them dry.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Some say wrapping them in plastic causes condensation. Some electrical grease or waterproof silicone spray works fine., Make sure the current is off whenever you leave a plug exposed.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remove mine also each trip and i cover the plugs in a zip lock bag and a rubber band just to keep them dry.
i used to do the same and was wondering if wrapping up in bag would hold moisture vs out in the air. Silicon spray or electronics grease probably best bet. Thanks..

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Yep, di-electric grease, only use a little, put on the connecter and connect up a few times to coat everything, wipe any excess so not to cause a short. I use a toothpic to put a little on each hole and then connect, this keeps excess from building up at the base of the pins and possible short.

The grease keeps out the moisture, if you want to bag them you can but I use to put one of those little dry pack you get with shoes and thing on the bag to soak up moisture, got tired of doing it and just use the grease.

i used to do the same and was wondering if wrapping up in bag would hold moisture vs out in the air. Silicon spray or electronics grease probably best bet. Thanks..

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, di-electric grease, only use a little, put on the connecter and connect up a few times to coat everything, wipe any excess so not to cause a short. I use a toothpic to put a little on each hole and then connect, this keeps excess from building up at the base of the pins and possible short.

The grease keeps out the moisture, if you want to bag them you can but I use to put one of those little dry pack you get with shoes and thing on the bag to soak up moisture, got tired of doing it and just use the grease.
thanks man, im gonna try the di-electric grease, agree you don't want to use too much but should prevent corrosion..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts