BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cam back from St. Thomas and had a great fishing trip. We used Saragosa 14000F's with braid and jigged with them as well as live baiting. Caught all kinds of fish up to about 30 pound Barracuda but the biggest tuna we caught were 20 pound Blackfin. The captain said these reels were no problem for tuna over 100 pounds and he has caught many on these reels. Anyone out there have any experience using these reels or the Saragosa 18000 for NJ Bluefin and Yellowfin? Great time, Great fishing and Great Food...definately recommend it and I fished with Double Header Sportfishing...real class act. This is an African Pompano I caught and released...my first.
John

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Saragosa spin

Landed a few small tuna up to 120 or so, prior installed new drag washers no issues!
I believe this reel capable of taking larger tuna , I don't run high choose to palm spool when required to move fish!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Captains...that's what I needed to know!

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are good up to 120lb bluefin or so. I upgraded the drag and knob the night before going to Hatteras 2 years ago. It handled 1 fish at 190lbs. The next fish was 240. It seized up and smelled like an electrical fire. Replaced it with a Stella

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The new 18000f have Cal drag washers out of the box. They come dry and I did my own grease, just to make me feel better. I won't even try them down in NC. You need real stuff for those fish, but NJ fish 18000f is just fine.Good Luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dont have experience with the larger saragossas, but i have the 6000. imo biggest waste of $220. after 1 weeks use the handle developed a lot of slop, which progressively got worse. after leaving the surf and going home to rinse off the reel, i noticed that both side plates fell off the reel(held on by a small amount of epoxy). i have since returned the reel and would never buy another.just my experience, and have heard the same from a friend who also owns one!!:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I was under the impression that all of the problems with the 'Gossa had been solved but either way, Shimano does have one of the best customer service policies int he business. I know that does not do you any good when standing on a deck 50 miles off with a fried reel in your hands.

IMHO, and not wanting to open too big of a can of worms, taking a Saragossa to do battle with a 250# tuna is why they make Stellas... I could not personally justify, for example, buying a Stella to go fluking with (just way too much money for the application regardless of whether I could afford it or not) but taking anything else (or something comperable...VS, ZeeBass, Diawa Dog, etc...) to a Championship fight like a giant bluefin is bringing a knife to an artillery fight. Even if the shells don't drop directly on you, you are going to take some shrapnel...

In all honesty, before going on my first tuna popping trip to the Cape, I went to Tackle Direct to buy a 'Gossa 18000... they talked me out of it and into a Stella, and I am glad they did.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
got a new 18000Sw last season handled 100lb tuna with no problem, I bought it more tobe able to cast plugs and poppers to tuna then jig with, but it work just fine for both, I like the conventional gear better fot jigging and if the bigger fish are in the area that's what we mainly use. I had a Stella 20,000sw I got buying a load of gear from a guy getting out of offshore fishing,and was very tempted to keep it but I kept enough of the gear already and don't do alot of big bluefin jigging so I sold the Stella, hopefully I won't regret it. I did keep a really nice Accurate 400EX 2-speed so I'm sure I'll be happy useing that reel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used my Saragosa 18000 and a OTI Tuna Extreme rod to land a #271 (gutted) BFT in Cape Cod this past spring. Landed the fish in 1 hour and 10 minutes. The rod and reel handled flawlessly. I inspected the drag washers after the battle, little to no ware.

If you're going to target 150-250# fish exclusively with a popping rod, go with the stella. Otherwise, stick with the Saragosa, it can handle 60-100# tuna all day long and it can handle the occasional 250+ hog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts