BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows just how strong a bow eye is?? I ask because I moor my 18ft boat in the Delaware and when I use rope from the ball to the cleats on the bow it chafes my mooring cover bad. I was thinking that this year I would use the bow eye with a strong snap hook. Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
BMA1977 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows just how strong a bow eye is?? I ask because I moor my 18ft boat in the Delaware and when I use rope from the ball to the cleats on the bow it chafes my mooring cover bad. I was thinking that this year I would use the bow eye with a strong snap hook. Any thoughts?????
I think I read somewhere where the USCG started requiring manufacturers to make it stong enough to lift the entire boat from...don't know where I read it but I'd believe it...but only on late 90's and later boats...and only if it is a stainless "u" bolt type.

We pull on those things pretty hard when pulling boats off sandbars...way harder than a typical mooring/anchoring situation.

The bow eye is strong enough...but most snap hooks aren't and be careful if the boats twists around enough...it can actually unsnap a snaphook...better off using a shackle or a snap specially designed for mooring....

·
Registered
268 Posts
What make boat and how old? I pulled two out, 1974 formula,and 1987 bayliner, Wood backing can rot out, sometimes the stainless corrodes to nothing where it passes through thick fiberglass. MartyD

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Our tow company had to get the boat on the turnpike the other day 34 footer twin 300 Yamaha's .
Put the winch cable in the bow hook and winched it write off the highway and on the roll-off .

Short side yes they are strong very strong .
Unless the front of the boat has been compromised

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If it is the stainless u-bolt setup, look for brown stain running out of the bolt hole. Like previouly said, can corrode away to nothing out of sight. Still should hold fine for a mooring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts