BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Sat. afternoon, there where probably 8 or 9 boats drifting eels. This boat anchors up on one of the rips and starts chunking?? I have no problem with guys chunking, but when guys are drifting eels there, don't think it's right, anybody got an opinion on this?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a free world, unfortunately you sometimes just have to deal with people who think they own the "spot" that they are fishing in.

Sorry Capt Jay I had to remove the link from your signature. We only allow links for paying advertisers. If you are interested in advertising please click here. http://www.thebassbarn.com/advertise.htm
Thank you for your cooperation.

[ 11-14-2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Its not as bad as a guy we saw a few years ago. Everyone was chasing birds. Every time a school popped up, this guy would run smack into the middle of them, drop anchor, and start jigging.

·
Registered
83,122 Posts
I do not believe anchoring is safe in a crowded and active place like the rips. I back into a rip, 30 yards off and I bounce down the edge by coming in an out of gear. I have to pay attention but I do not become a fixed obstacle to my fellow anglers. This allows me to be to cover more fishing area and be mobile if I have to get out of someone?s way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
About two years ago, on my last boat, I ran into engine troubel and had to anchor right in-front of one of the inside rips. The rip was licking the back of the boat and from a safety standpoint it wasn't good at all. It was a prime spot and I thought for a second about fishing while waiting for a tow but it just didn't feel right to be fishing while messing up the drift of those in front of me. I got some strange looks as I had to wave people off drifting at me. With the current there, it would seem like being on the hook wouldn't be so great anyway. So, engine trouble or just not knowing any better are the only valid reasons I can think of.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Years ago when I was a kid people would anchor in the rips all the time and hammer the crap out of them. :D Now a days with 500% more boats out there it is pretty tough.

If you have ever fished the Outer Banks they anchor in the rips/shoals and fish for the big red drum. It is common practice. You just have to know what you are doing out there.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
A FEW YEARS BACK SOMEONE ANCHORED THERE, WITH 100+ BOATS AROUND. AFTER A FEW PEOPLE YELLED AT HIM, HE PULLED HIS HOOK AND DRIFTED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I THINK HE WAS NEW TO THE AREA. I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS AN UNWRITTEN LAW.
IT'S FUNNY, CAUSE IF SOMEONE DID IT IN A FLOUNDER AREA, YOU REALLY CAN'T SAY IT'S WRONG. JUST A NO-NO IN THE RIPS.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Originally posted by MAKO19:
I don't know but it definitely doesn't sound productive although I have seen people doing it before.
It is definitely productive if done right. (Usually with clam) It is no different then fishing any other edge....it is better even because the fish are stacked up in there tight on the shoals.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well, what if you went out there to drift eels and you saw 100 boats all on the hook? Does that mean you have to go home and buy some clam chunks or would you just drift as well as you can? Personally I would not anchor up in the rips, but if someone wants to do it, who's to say he's wrong? I absolutely hate drifting eels and avoid it like the plague. If I get a chance to chunk bunker or clams I'm doing it instead of popping one of those damn eels on my line.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This sounds like my major fishing question of life which is:

Why do people that wear chest waders wade into the water up to their chest?

BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!!

I used to get pissed off but now I just scratch my head. i see both of these in the river all the time. ten boats drifting and then one anchors and screws it up. they guy wading for salmon up to his waste is standing where he should be fishing.

I am convinced that these people are not stupid - they just don't know any better. Oh I dooon't know!!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Why is it, you stand on shore and cast as for out as you can, then get on a boat and try to cast to shore???? :confused: :confused:

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Anchor ahead of a rip???? You're damn right, it works and works well. There's a common curtisy between most fisherman, if you were there first you fish how you want. No problem with a few boats but when it gets as god awfull as the rips you are asking for trouble. If you anchor up, your going to get looks and plenty of grief, but those are not the people you need to worry about. It's the guy who is not watching and slams into your boat, potentially hazardous sitiuation I would say!!!

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

[ 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Mullica Bob ]

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
We have talked about this before as most of the locals know how deadly it would be! We all would like to do it but at this time it just doesnt fit the area. We we're in Montauk for the asa 2 yrs ago anchored up and got run over by the fleet sending us a not so pleasant message!LOL I might point out that we set up well clear of the area they we're trolling! In FLA tarpon fishing they anchor shoulder to shoulder getting off the ball to chase there fish. Imagine one of those sat. with 300 boats anchored in the rips who knows we may see it soon?? ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Encountered a boat anchored up in the IRI on saturday. I was like 'What the F?'...my bro-in-law didnt think anything of it.

I guess if the current isnt crazy, then it is ok to do..I personally never would anchor up on a rip just because of the potential dangers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.