BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd ask the questions on this page rather than the tackle because a get the feeling more anglers check the home port?

How far south do winters go? All the way down to the Wildwoods? Delaware?

What tide and water depth are best to pursue them? Do they like the same areas as summers? When is the best time in the spring to target them or winter for that matter?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Trying to remember who posted about it, but they stated that winter flounder fishing is better up north and by up north i'm talking Barnegat Bay. I fish for winter flounder now and in the spring starting the end of March from Toms River down to the BB buoy. We anchor up in about 8-10 foot of water, make sure it is a muddy bottom cause thats where they bury themselves. We use a small piece of bloods for bait and use lots of chum.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scarface. I'm wondering if they get them decent down in the southern counties. I know you guys have a great fishery. Have you heard of a viable fishery in southern ATlantic or Cape May counties? The range in the books is down to the Carolinas but I lived there for 10 years and never heard of even one come up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to catch winter flounder in the little bay in Brigantine. Does anyone know if the winter flounder still congregate there?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
When I was a kid I fished with my father for winter flounder behind wildwood. Never caught as many as we did up in Manasquan but they were much larger.

We started around Thanksgiving and fished until the water dropped below 42 degrees. Started again around Easter as it warmed up.

The general rule was if it was a good season up north then we would get fish down here. If it was poor up north then we usually didn't see any down here.

We always looked for mud bottom and about fifteen feet of water. we used bloodworms, clam and mussels for bait. Chummed a lot and stirred the bottom to get the fish interested.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I remember my dad would do real well with winter flounder back in the early 70's behind Ocean City, but things haven't been the same since. I don't hear of many that try for them today down this way. But is it a question that they are not hear, or is it a case that people are not trying for them.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
There was a pretty good bite behind Strathmere last Spring.
I didn't fish long for them ,only about an hour each trip but did catch them every time I tried and some decent size
This was first year in many that there seem to be a bite.
lots of chum needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts