BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon I took my newer Yamaha FXHO out for a test drive, I had not used it for six months and wanted to make sure all was good before I tow four of my custom rigged PWC's to Key West Florida soon.
A test run for me usually includes fishing and yesterday was no exception. Everything performed flawlessly, jet ski ran great and I caught 12 Tautog using live fiddlers in big swells around the piles of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
I have been to Key West many moons ago but only for diving and before I was into Jet Ski Fishing. This time I am towing four PWC's down there and staying for a week with some friends. While there we we will be fishing, diving and spear fishing. All of my daylight hours will either be spent on or in the water.
While there if the weather permits I am going to run a couple of skis across to the Dry Tortugas, Fort Jefferson.
If anyone has some great suggestions of "you gotta do this while there" please let me know. I always want to try something different while on vacation.

Here are some some pictures from yesterday while on my "test run" and a couple of the Bald Eagles at my house.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you like dessert, you have to try, Better Than Sex, on the corner of Simonton and Truman. Only serves dessert and they are fabulous. I'll be down there May 21 thru the 26th for our 40th wedding anniversary.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Go north on rt 1 leaving key west about 5 miles north on the left side is a small restaurant called baba loos, great food

Sorry here is the correct name
Bobalu's Southern Cafe

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Excellent pictures as usual Brian, love me some Eagles and the tog didn't look too shabby either! I hope you have a great season this year

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Brian great pics as always.
Not to rain on your parade, But as a part time keys resident ( Marathon area) let me tell you...you may want to do some more research before you trailer your PWC all the way to Key West. Key west and the lower keys in general are not very PWC fishing friendly.
They like the PWC to stay tight to the beach, like 1/2 mile or less. I have been stopped many times near my place in Marathon, and was told to head in closer to shore. The last time I ran to Hawks Chanel ( 2-4 miles off) I was told to head in the the CG followed me back to Vaca Cut. They say they have had too many rescues from inexperienced PWC operators, witch puts the operator and SAR teams in unsafe conditions. There is so much law enforcement down there ( CG, FWC, Marine Police) It makes it frustrating to even try to fish a PWC.
I can tell you this YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE TORTUGAS OR THE FORT ON A PWC!!!! The park is closed to all PWC even as use as tenners to larger ships.

http://www.nps.gov/drto/faqs.htm#CP_JUMP_121104

If they even see you outside the park i can guarantee you will be arrested. Remember you are in drug runner territory, runners use PWCs as spotters.
If anything you may be able to make a run to the Marquesas I would contact the Key West CG station ahead of time and let them know you plan a trip out with 4 PWCs on your party. They may be ok with that but I would definitely try to create a float plan with them ahead of time.
As for fishing your best bet would be north of Conch Key on the gulf side, that is the southern limits of Florida Bay. The bay seems to be much more PWC fishing friendly.
Hope this may help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts