BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often does everyone change their spin of racors? Every so many hours or once a season?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned gas outboards.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
How often does everyone change their spin of racors? Every so many hours or once a season?
I suggest twice a year depending on the hours, once at the beginning of the year and in the middle.

With that said ask your mechanic, he has to keep you running and you have to keep him happy by listening to his advice.

Mike

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I out about 30 hours on my motors since the last filter change. I was planning on dumping and reinstalling the filters before I fire up the motors. Run the motors and collect any sediments that may have collected over winter. After putting an hour or so on the motors I will install fresh filters. Anybody see any flaws in my thinking? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Going into my 6th season running the Avalon Sea Tow boat..

Never changed a Racor 500 turbine filter during the season. Once at the beginning ...but a few hours after spring splash to get any "sitting over the winter junk".....that's all. Never had an engine cough except if I ran a tank dry (not a filter problem). I think I'm running somewhere's around 500 hours per year on that engine.

Now... we do burn some fuel and never had any problems with ethanol either.

Every season the fuel is clear and so are the filter bowls except for a tad of water.maybe a touch of sediment.

I do carry several spare filters and drain the bowl occasionally throughout the year to check the fuel.

As long as you can darin your filter...there's really no need to change it that often if you keep getting clear containers of fuel. If you get bad gas or have a dirty tank...that interval may go up...

The funny thing about regularly changing the filter as opposed to just checking the fuel every trip...is you never know when you get bad gas or phase separation till your engine coughs.... usually both situations will contaminate a filter so fast...regularly changing them most times won't stop a bad tankful from clogging a brand new filter.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
NS

We are probably running the same setup. I run a 28 Hydra sports with twin 250's rudes. Before I fire the motors for the first time I empty out my Racor filters and check for any water or sediment. I usually run the boat for a few hours on the water then put in new filters and run them for the rest of the season. This way any junk gets filtered out and then I add fresh fuel. I do change the on motor filter at after starting the motors and letting them run for 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dirty Blond said:
NS

We are probably running the same setup. I run a 28 Hydra sports with twin 250's rudes. Before I fire the motors for the first time I empty out my Racor filters and check for any water or sediment. I usually run the boat for a few hours on the water then put in new filters and run them for the rest of the season. This way any junk gets filtered out and then I add fresh fuel. I do change the on motor filter at after starting the motors and letting them run for 30 minutes or so.
DB,

Exactly what I was plannng. I will change the little spin-ons on the motor because either you have to drop the port side cowling or pull the sensor to get the filter out plus worry about spilling fuel in the water.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ran a Volvo diesel for past 6 years always changed raycors 60S filters at about 100 hours did engine oil every 200. And those filters arent cheap used to pay 38 bucks each for them. Even have a few filters left just bought twin outboards. Have to learn about them now

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
The time to change them is when you winterize the boat. If a filter has some water in it and freezes it can crack the filter. If you gas tanks is missing the anti syphone valve you will have a big mess to deal with.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
barnaclebillsmarine said:
The time to change them is when you winterize the boat. If a filter has some water in it and freezes it can crack the filter. If you gas tanks is missing the anti syphone valve you will have a big mess to deal with.
I drained them completely then ran the motors to winterize them. Won't that ensure they are not full of water or are you taking about the filtering material within the filter? Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Filter changing is going to vary greatly on the size and micron of the filter . If you have a short filter with 10 micron filtration it can become clogged a lot quicker than one of the tall Yamaha 10 micron filters. The older the fuel system is the more often I would consider changing the filter. On older fuel systems or tanks with known fuel issues, I would consider changing boat mounted 10 micron or smaller systems at aprox 25 to 40 hrs. On newer systems, I would think 50 to 100 hr service intervals. Just remember you want to change the filters before you have runabilty problems. If you wait for the engine to start to run poorly , you could be causing the engine to run lean by losing fuel pressure , which can burn valves and cause internal engine damage .

·
Registered
513 Posts
I suspect how you run your motors will also influence the frequency to replace. Not all 100 hours are the same. 100 hours of cruising may flow 600 to 800 gallons of fuel through the filter. 100 hours of trolling may only flow 200 gallons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts