BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a radar this off season. I haven't even started looking but want to get some opinions on brands/cost.....etc. I'm not looking to break the bank but something decent. boats a 23' cc, and i mainly fish inshore, del bay and back bays.. want something to feel more comfortable at night and fog.
Also looking to have a stereo installed so any suggestions on a good electronics guys to do both.

thanks,

·
Vendor
944 Posts
For the Radar: Garmin 740 or 740s with the GMR18 Radome. This is a great unit at a great price! Simrad also makes a nice product but will cost a bit more.
For the Stereo: Fusion 600 series with Poly Planar speakers. Fusion has put a lot into the engineering of their product and has done a good job of building true Marine electronics. If the Fusion isn't in your price range JBL also makes some nice units at a more reasonable price. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Once you decide which radar you want checkout Overtons prices online. Lookup Overtons discount coupons.[20 percent off] I bought the smallest Furuno for just over $1000 with no sales tax. This unit replaced my old Furuno which was damaged due to an impact with a bridge. You will be told on this forum that you have to have this size unit or this make unit but for ocasional use on a small boat to get thru a crowded inlet in the fog or to help spot other boats at nite it has done the job for me. Maybe not as good as a $2000 unit but alot better than no radar.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I'm looking to get one, too, and really like the Lowrance Broadband units. Realistically, with Del Bay and inshore use for collision avoidance or navigation guidance, a long range radar isn't necessary for me. The northern bay where i run is only 6 or 7 miles wide.

Two reasons the broadband appeals to me are close quarters performance, and lower electric power demands. Many people in different scenarios are saying good things about them.

Pricey, though. A repo would be nice.:D I'd rather buy from a sponsor.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
I'm looking to get one, too, and really like the Lowrance Broadband units. Realistically, with Del Bay and inshore use for collision avoidance or navigation guidance, a long range radar isn't necessary for me. The northern bay where i run is only 6 or 7 miles wide.

Two reasons the broadband appeals to me are close quarters performance, and lower electric power demands. Many people in different scenarios are saying good things about them.

Pricey, though. A repo would be nice.:D I'd rather buy from a sponsor.
Check with terminator tackle, saw on another thread where BT bought a lowrance HDS from him and was happy with cost.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Looking into getting a radar this off season. I haven't even started looking but want to get some opinions on brands/cost.....etc. I'm not looking to break the bank but something decent. boats a 23' cc, and i mainly fish inshore, del bay and back bays.. want something to feel more comfortable at night and fog.
Also looking to have a stereo installed so any suggestions on a good electronics guys to do both.

thanks,
Sent you an email.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I have the furuno 1623 thats ok. Make sure the ttop has the mounting plate-mine didnt do a barner made one and its mounted to the Ttop and the radas to the plate.

a nice feature is my radar cabled easily(standard cable) to my gps chartplotter since all furuno so on standby i can show position and speed on the radar screen in big letters to I can monitor the drift speed and position. Use that alot when fluking to determine wight/bucktail sizes and to bumptroll and backtroll. When interfaced I can steer by the radar as the destination is shown on the radar-sometimes easier than the chart[lotter cause a single line intersecting with the ring ranges .

also may want a scanstrut or wedge(i have neither) for better performance

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Call Martek. They are the only electronics guys I use. I do my own installs, but these guys are on top of their sh!t!

I like Furuno, but I dont know much about the smaller boat side. Unless you wanna hear how a 12kw with a 6' array will work. :D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Once you decide witch unit you want give us a call. We sell all makes and usually beat other prices.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a little 16 something furuno that is cabled to the plotter also. I use it to show the info from the plotter all the time and when its foggy or dark it is just what i need. I run it on 2 mile and it picks alot up. While it wont pick up birds or boats at long distances it does make running at dark much easier. Its all u need for runnining the bay at nite.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the responses...good info here so i have some homework to do and some people to talk to. thanks

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Check with terminator tackle, saw on another thread where BT bought a lowrance HDS from him and was happy with cost.
I can take care of your for sure... Ive been Quoting out the Furuno 1623 lately and the price point is tough to beat..

anyone interested in this or any other units can call or email me for special Barner pricing;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 23' CC myself and put a Lowrance Broadband BR24 unit (connected to their HDS-10 MFD) I also added a Simrad RC-42 rate compass to the set-up to allow for chart overlay (the radar image overlays onto the chart screen). I am very happy with it. I too was interested in it from a safety perspective of low visibility, collision avoidance but also found it easily picks up an incoming storm cell as well. And Lowrance recently had some good rebates on their products too. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts