BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a Furuno 1623 radar. Need reviews being installed on 21 ft CC mainly used in bay. Want unit for additional navigational aide. Not looking for upper end units. Basic unit for navigation.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing a Furuno 1623 radar. Need reviews being installed on 21 ft CC mainly used in bay. Want unit for additional navigational aide. Not looking for upper end units. Basic unit for navigation.
Don't waste your tine with the 1623... they are one of the worse radars out there. Step up to the 1715... it's like a whole different animal.

The 1623's were plagued with service problems, most were due to the horrible belt design they have to spin the antenna. The pulley would work off the shaft after about 50 hrs. Not a big deal, but I must have done 25-30 in one year, not a lot, but a high percentage when compared to the number of units out there.

Plus it's only 300 more.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Don't waste your tine with the 1623... they are one of the worse radars out there. Step up to the 1715... it's like a whole different animal.

The 1623's were plagued with service problems, most were due to the horrible belt design they have to spin the antenna. The pulley would work off the shaft after about 50 hrs. Not a big deal, but I must have done 25-30 in one year, not a lot, but a high percentage when compared to the number of units out there.

Plus it's only 300 more.
Sparks how about the new simrad/lowrance/ broadband type with the dome? I cant seem to under stand what comes with the unit .do you get the sceen also and what are the hidden costs if any .Its not really in the budget but you never know.Will be used mostly for fog,night time ,would like to pick up a storm or birds that are out of eye sight?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Sparks how about the new simrad/lowrance/ broadband type with the dome? I cant seem to under stand what comes with the unit .do you get the sceen also and what are the hidden costs if any .Its not really in the budget but you never know.Will be used mostly for fog,night time ,would like to pick up a storm or birds that are out of eye sight?
I'm fairly sure they are the same as all the other network systems, EMC would know better as they handle them all day. Usually you get the display and dome separately.

You will have a real hard time seeing birds with any dome radar.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Radar

The Furuno 1623 in a nice radar for the price, it is an entry level radar.It has a 6" mono chrome screen with 15" dome,it is a 2.2kw radar with 16nm range.Works perfect for smaller boats where you do not have to break the bank to get a radar.

The Lowrance broadband radar is another great radar with a little different technology.You must purchase a display and the dome, it is for Lowrance and Simrad units.It uses less power and is ideal for close range.The domes are about $1700 to $2100 depending on which brand you are purchase.

Garmin radars are also real nice to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.