BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
I would without a doubt. You can get a very basic radar for a good price or even used. What happens when that fog rolls in...yeah, you may have a chart plotter, but maybe the guy that is doing 25knt right at you only has a chart plotter too...wouldn't you want to know what's coming at you! I say yessss!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I go offshore real early, my boat dosen't go slow very well (27 minimum or it falls of plane) so the radar makes me feel more secure! I only go on the best of days; the calmest days tend to be the foggy ones, sitting at the dock waiting for the fog to lift realy sucks. Coming in after sun set with all the lights from shore screwing up your vision is realy scary, I mostly launch in cape may and the lights from wildwood, the coast guard sta. and cape may will confuse any one. The plotter tells you where you are but with the lights in the back ground other boats can't be seen! Im not one for spending $, but this was $ well spent!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
If you are running at night time.....yes get some radar.. Night time is no big deal, but add night time and some fog and you'll appreciate having radar.. Yes, even the cheapest Radar will work. 2kw units will see other boats, but if you want bird chasing abilty you'll need a 6kw unit. If you have the room go with an open array antenna..

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
2 kw dome of your choice. Forget about bird hunting for low dollars. Check out the weight of a 6 kw. Do you really want that on you tee top?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I got caught in fog last year...turned on the radar and spotted small boats that I could have run up on without the radar...but, just because you have radar...don't think that it's a fail safe...still take your time. I had a close call on the same day with some ---hole that had radar but came close to taking us out (he was in a 34' boat...I was in my 33 Coastal)...he was cruising about 20kts in the fog (I was laying on my horn)and he just missed us (he literaly had to cut hard to our starboard and left us with a nice wake).........goooo slow in the fog!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
A point of interest; If you have radar it must be on and it rases your responsibility, when I installed my new radar the directions stated just that, so I checked into it and yup!!!
RADAR does not raise your responsibility any more then you already have. That's incredibly ignorant statement. RADAR or not you should not be running any faster than can stop/turn to avoid a collision. Guy's like you scare me....big time on the water. If your boat won't plane under 27mph/kts you have no biz being on plane in the fog. Reading the instructions to your radar has nothing to do with being on the water in limited visibility... Radar never has and never will give you right to run faster than you can stop/turn to avoid...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just took the plunge and ordered a radar for this season. After being caught in the fog last year and having a close call I figured it wouldnt be a bad investment. Shoot me a e-mail, I just got a pretty decent deal on a new furuno 1623 you might want to look at.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Love it ! Love it ! Love it !

On another post I mentioned about How I was fishing out front after midnight and had to come back, in the dense fog. " It was scary "

There was no looking out the window for land lights, It was a black sheet over the boat. :eek:

If I tried the spot light, it was just a white wall in front of your hand.

If I didn't have the radar I would of had to sit tight till the fog lifted, Witch was after dawn that day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.