BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

Last year I noticed I had a hard time trying to reach anyone on the radio. I was wandering what the average range is on a normal hard mounted VHF radio.

I noticed when I was out at the lumps I couldn't reach anyone and Couldnt hear anything. When in-shore I can hear other boats, but have a hard time reaching anyone. When I do reach someone, I notice they seem pretty close to me.

Anyone know of a shop who has the equipment to test the output??

Do you guys match/trim your antennas to your to your radio.

I have a 2 year old uniden unit, the antenna is a year old shakespere.

Thanks, Glenn Kemery
"All Tangled Up"
Berlin, NJ

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
normal v.h.f. fixed mount range s 15-20- miles. keep in mind v.h.f. is line of sight radio, meaning both antenna's have to see each other to transmit. maybe a bad antenna or connection. also make sure your tranmitting on 25 watt and not 1 watt. they make meters to measure your output about $35.00. hope this helps, capt. chuck

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This has come up quite a few times and has happened to me in the past. The $30 basic Shakespeare antenna I had fell apart inside. The wire that is strung up inside the glass outer shell fell down. I will never buy those antennas again for a boat. I run Shakespeare Galaxy antennas on my boat. Expensive they are, but it is your lifeline for help. Not sure if that is your problem but it might be. Antennas and connections are usually at fault. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
remember some days you dont get very far and others you do. it was explained on here last year. i posted the question. as we were at #1 in the db i was talking to a scalloper out in the ocean where ever they do that. on channel 78 he was rambling on and on and on. i got on the horn and told him enough was enough figureing he would never hear me. but he did. fishpicker knows the fellow. big red boat. there was probably 40 miles between us. the next day bt3100 was 3 miles from me. he could hear me but i could not hear him.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
phish4fun said:
remember some days you dont get very far and others you do. it was explained on here last year. i posted the question. as we were at #1 in the db i was talking to a scalloper out in the ocean where ever they do that. on channel 78 he was rambling on and on and on. i got on the horn and told him enough was enough figureing he would never hear me. but he did. fishpicker knows the fellow. big red boat. there was probably 40 miles between us. the next day bt3100 was 3 miles from me. he could hear me but i could not hear him.

that was some funny $hit :D :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mount your antena as high as possible. I have seen boats with tee top's on them and they still have the radio & Gps mounted on the gunwall not a good Idea because you can get interfierance from the metal in the top. Also as stated above Check your ground's and conection's. Also a good quality radio go's a long way. The uniden radios are ok for sight of land but if your running over 7 miles out get a Icom they can't be beat. Also if they do need repair they are repairable not throwaways as most repair centers will tell you about Apelco's/Unidens/Old Ray Jeffersons.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
yea its kinda weird on some days, i have a cheap lil standard horizon that came with the boat, gunnel mounted 8' . and 1 day i was pulling out of my slip. and was talking to guys at the barney ridge, then another day i was drifting the beach front, heard a guy say they just released a mako, figured he would never hear me, (he would be out there) i asked him aprrox size, and he responded "about a 100", but iam still upgrading to an icom and a 6db ant. just gonna keep my lil standard as a back-up. it obviously works

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
All KNOTTED Up said:
Hello Guys,

Last year I noticed I had a hard time trying to reach anyone on the radio. I was wandering what the average range is on a normal hard mounted VHF radio.

I noticed when I was out at the lumps I couldn't reach anyone and Couldnt hear anything. When in-shore I can hear other boats, but have a hard time reaching anyone. When I do reach someone, I notice they seem pretty close to me.

Anyone know of a shop who has the equipment to test the output??

Do you guys match/trim your antennas to your to your radio.

I have a 2 year old uniden unit, the antenna is a year old shakespere.

Thanks, Glenn Kemery
"All Tangled Up"
Berlin, NJ
Radios are designed to max out on power with something like 13.5 Volts...anything less and they drop off in power dramatically. Check the voltage at the leads going into the radio.

Anything near your antenna that extends up past the base will reflect transmission power and disrupt the output.

Any spilces or connectors drop transmitting power.

Some radios have better microphones than other...you might be transmitting OK but the signal is weak or garbled due to the mike.

Either of the marine electronics advertisers should have Bird WATT meters that are WAY more accurate than the SWR meters you can buy that will check both your antenna and your radio...trouble is the tests usually aren't cheap (probably $50-100 for them to check it out...at the lower end if you can get the boat to where they are working or their shops).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts