BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know if this was the right forum, but here goes anyway. We put two traps in each weekend when we come and every weekend their raided. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Are other people having the same problem?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bet and Ed,
It does seem to be a problem just about every summer these days with crab pots being raided..
Best bet is to do some type of sting operation to catch these crooks in the action.
I would think they are either doing this at night or I believe very,very early in the morning during first light before anyone else is around. You might want to make a suprised visit during these times or if you are not around ask someone else close to you check up on the traps.

Good Luck,,,

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I used to put in 2 crab commecail crab pots that were marked with red floats indicating they were recreational traps. They were raided on a regular basis. I beleive they were raided by commercail guys because they would not only take the crabs but would also dump the bait. Then after a while they would move my traps from the side creeks to the main channel and I would find them a half mile from where I put them just a day earlier. No recreational guy would go thru this hassle they would just take the crabs. Paybacks are a *****.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Anyone else with the same problem? If so maybe set up a 'neighborhood watch' system and nail the bastards! You have to want to catch them more than they want your crabs.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Gear War!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Could you mark your pot with a GPS and submerge the float enough to make it harder to find. or is that against the law.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by skunked:
Could you mark your pot with a GPS and submerge the float enough to make it harder to find. or is that against the law.
no, that would create a dangerous situation. If a boat got your line wrapped in its prop, or say a water skier was clipped by your submerged line there would be hell to pay.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
one wire tie the doors shut. two use reguler crab trap bouy's. not the lanudry bottles.

make sure there waited so they don't move with the current a branch or tree drifting by always seems to catch hold of them and drag em off mark.

i would bet if theres a craber near by he may pull your pot early mornin so put em out later in the days and check em first thing..

oh and always leave one jimmie in the pot,

good luck freedom...

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
My traps were behind Sea Isle weighted with bricks and had red floats that also had some reflective tape on the floats and were marked with black marker recreational. They were raided and moved so often that I just stopped putting them out.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
ya know it's a shame, but i would try to make em look more like an other commerical crabber pot.

has anyone told law enforcement ?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
You're lucky they are only "borrowing" your crabs.I have my boat in your area,not only do they take my crabs,but my minnows,minnow net and traps.I never know what to expect when I go to the boat on a monday.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Rich Adler:
Use the stealth mode, put a small danforth at both ends of the crab line, mark the location with your GPS, and use a small grappel to retrieve the pots.
Again, not the best of ideas...First purposely putting submerged obstacles in the ICW is a bad idea for obvious reasons, but if a Fish & Game officer sees you retreiving hidden pots... well you get the point...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Me and a buddy of mine put in two traps each in the wildwood area. Checked the traps the next day and two were gone. Was out with the kids a week later and saw a float that look very familer. Got up close and saw it was one of my missing traps. This was 1/2 mile from the place I origionlly placed it and on the other side of the channel.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
For years my traps were always raided. Then They started to disappear. I realized it was the commertial guy. My pots would only disappear when he moved into the area. I also noticed they would be 1/2 mile away and his pot would be over the same spot. Finally I started stealing his. Cut float off. Install yours and drive away. I called the marine police they said I could put the pot down with no marker If I could find it again to pull it back up. I also use a very thin string with a float the size of a bottle cork with my numbers inside. They still disapear when he is around. I finally gave up crabing. I always wanted to do a sting but the dude is a real dirt ball that will not even obey no wake zones.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Drifter if you are being done wrong call the Police. As far as your pots moving it happens all the time. With last weeks full moon your lucky that your pots only moved that far. A few tips for ya try longer buoy lines.( if ya need extra let me know I have miles of it) Try the stake thing I used to do it all the time when I worked the sounds. Pour concrete in the bottom and write your name or number into it. All of my pots were branded, Most of us do that or mark it in a way that you no it is yours. Don't start cuttin until you catch the culprit red handed {Thats how people get hurt } even then call the police.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i used to lose eel pots all the time when grass hung up on the line and pulled the buoy under. lotsa times i'd find them a month later after the grass drug 'em up in the shallows.

my dad had a problem last week with his rec. crab pots being checked up middle river. he went to check 'em the one time and all the doors were opened and crabs gone 3 out of 4 pots. he pulled over to the bank and cut the motor to repair one of 'em and a couple minutes later a boat with a couple pots in it came around the corner with a couple dudes w/ suprised looks on their faces not expecting he was there. what happened was they were checkin his pots and heard him comin so they took off up the creek. when they didnt hear his motor anymore they thought he left, and they came back out, to find him still there. he knew it was them but he couldnt prove it.

they sell in the commercial catalogs a device that will release a submerged buoy in a day's time. you would have to throw the pot over with this thing on your line that'll keep your buoy submerged and then it'll release it by the next day. i thought that would be a good idea.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Eel that is a great suggestion. they are nothing more then a wire tie from a loaf of bread. I see them in all of the catalogs that have shops based in FLA. They use them down there on stone crab pots.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We have the same problem down here in Del. We started putting plastic cable ties on the pots to make it harder to open them. They can be cut off easily with a knife or cutters when you want to get your crabs out but it seems as if the thiefs are in too much of a hurry to bother with the extra hassle and just let the pots go when they see the ties. I have a friend who is a commercial stone crabber in Fla. and he uses the release mechanism some of the other guys talked about. I think it is a zinc wire that disintegates after a certain amount of time in saltwater.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I put my traps in along a bank and tie it to a stake in the mud. Sometimes they are not the most productive spots but it is better then finding an empty or missing trap. Keep it in a spot that you could only find if you knew it was there. I have a small boat so I can go out at low tide and keep the stake below the high water mark. Nobody seems to bother with it.
I also write my bouy # on the stake just in case.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts