BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Gatley:
finally nice to have a day with more bass than blues.
Chris not to complain, but if you are the Field Editor - NJ Angler Magazine. I would expect A slightly more descriptive report!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Gatley:
finally nice to have a day with more bass than blues.
Good stuff !

Capt CG your driving me crazy ;)

I can't get my work done

See ya next week !

Art

[ 05-10-2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW Freezeorburn- how do I respond to that without being looked upon negatively. I will try my best. I guess you'll take it any way you want.

what do you want to know. Spots, Trends, Numbers

What?

My site goes into more detail if you are interested. As for the magazine, we are working on field reports (not spot specific) but it is not ready yet. Till then I just wanted those who care to know that we caught less bluefish than bass today - hooray! My hook budget was beginning to dive into my flourocarbon budget which has already tapped into my gas budget. those fishing the bay can read between the lines and understand where I am coming from.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Relax Gatley,

Just like to hear the fish story.

I have my own wild ideas on Spots, Trends, Numbers.

Thank you though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Chris , going Trouting tommorrow ( thurs ) my usual place near Clinton. Worked on the boat last 2 days and giving salt a break for a few days , then going to concentrate on ASA Sandy Hook next week.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha freezeorburn - it has been a long season so far and its just starting. Randy, catch them up. One of these days we'll have to get out. Maybe the trico hatch on the Little Lehigh in early July.

i have not done it for years but have been meaning too

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Chris:

Nice job!

Sure, it would be nice to have some additional details and maybe a pic or two, but those of us that fish the bay can read between the lines and we welcome the news regarding the bass vs. blues ratio. ;)

As for the Little Lehigh: Forget those tiny little tricos in July - THE SULFUR HATCH IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO HIT ON THE LITTLE LEHIGH!!! :eek:

I lived in Macungie, PA for a couple of years, and I used to fish the Little Lehigh at least a couple of days a week all year long. The sulfur hatch undoubtedly generated the most explosive trout action of any hatches on that stream. Even those old elusive mossbacked browns and rainbows in the fly fishing only stretch in front of the hatchery would become easy pickings on dries and wets when they started gorging on the sulfurs. (It's nice to catch them on something that looks natural instead of green weenies, egg flys, and pellet patterns.) :rolleyes:

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
232 Posts
Originally posted by Red Scarab:
Chris , going Trouting tommorrow ( thurs ) my usual place near Clinton. Worked on the boat last 2 days and giving salt a break for a few days , then going to concentrate on ASA Sandy Hook next week.
Red Scarab,

Let me know how you did. I have been itching to break out the flyrod but, as of yet, have not.
The S. Branch is a hop, skip and a jump from me.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Timmy T:

It has been a number of years, since I have been back up there, but as I recall the sulfurs would normally start around now and the end of May.
However, like all mayfly hatches, variations in water temp and flow rate can hasten or slow the arrival date.

I would guess that with the warm winter we had, that the sulfurs are probably starting already.

If you plan to fish the sulfur hatch, be sure to stay until it gets dark. The evening hatch during the last few hours of daylight are normally the peak of the dun egglaying and subsequent spinner fall which really puts the fish into a feeding frenzy.

It is amazing to see just about every fish in the entire stream suspended just inches from the surface continuously sipping. At times, It can seem like many of them have their fins, tails and heads out of the water more than in it.

My roomate and I used to easily tally 50 fish in last few hours of light. My roomate also used to be a volunteer at the hatchery, so we often had "special priveledges" reagarding staying on the fly fishing only water past sundown. ;)

You can always call the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, and the folks there can give you an update as to what's hatching and how far along the hatch has progressed.

- Gr8ful

P.S. Try a Sulfur Dry or Spinner with a dropper (off the hook bend) down to an emerging wet. Then skitter the dry along the surface. This makes the dry dun look like it is laying eggs & the subsurface wet looks like an emerger swimming hastily to the surface... IT's DEADLY!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gr8ful-

i don't care. just get the info out and get people fishing. never tried the sulphurs on the little lehigh. i ran a drift boat on the big lehigh and focused much of my time there after my river stripers. the lehigh river has marginal hatches at best but some very big fish and exciting fishing.

·
Banned
2,405 Posts
thanks gr8ful! Just started fly fishing last year and that sounds like fun. I may have to give it a try, I have been learning the ropes and taking my lumps at the Tully. GOD, I LOVE that place as hard as it is sometimes. If I catch 2 fish a night on the fly I am lucky!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Chris, see what we started.....now back to the cows moving into Sandy Hook over the next few weeks!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts