BASS BARN banner

raw water washdown concern

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  neon lite 
#1 ·
having never had a boat with this option..i am worried about it...i have a 88 wellcraft v20 with washdown input which is obviously below the water line..i see no practical purpose for me as i dont need a hose at sea when i can keep the old system of a bucket which works fine be by me..can i plug this hole with a normal drain plug or do i need to do somthing more permanent

#2 ·
There should be a shut off valve.just keep it closed then. we use ours all the time. i wash down the boat on the ride in.makes for easier clean up once home. also keeps the blood and slime off the deck and you dont need to lean over the side to fill a bucket. try using it ,you may come to like it.

#3 ·
Like Fish has said,clean at sea will save you hours at the dock.
I installed a salt water wash down, did the old 5 gallon bucket method for years.
Best money I ever spent!
As for blocking off your inlet, a plug and 5200 should fit the bill. Pulse the shut off.
I am by no means an expert on this through hull block off.
But I would reconsider, you have a great thing there.

#7 ·
We have been using the Paramax 5 from Jabsco with great results. Plenty of pressure to blast crap away. The only major concern is mounting location. No pump will last as long as it should in a wet bilge. If you have to put it in a bilge, make sure it's mounted high.

you also have special concerns with a gas powered boat.

#9 ·
If it is a proper seacock (not a through hull with ball valve screwed on top)...then just close it off and if it were me, I''d still leave a length of hoise attached with a plug in he hose and a couple clamps or secure the top of the hose above the waterline. The problem with leaving them just "off" is you never know when it may fail/leak or accidently open.

Me...I'd use it...and if not...pull it out and epoxy the hole.

#10 ·
i put one in last year..its a beautiful thing..the only thing you will need that bucket for is bait..i used a sureflow pump.it works great..one word of advice for anyone reading this.make sure you know what kind of hull you have..my searay has a balsa core hull and i had to order a etra long thruhull for it..i think i paid as much for the pump as i did the valve and fittings.i wouldnt go cheap on the valve or fitting,alot of water goes through :)that hole.

#11 ·
thanks for the feed back..i am going to take it to my marina and see what he thinks...tom at bayway will let me know if its a go or not..i know i am oldfashioned just a hole in my boat scares me

#13 ·
Make sure that the thruhull, hoses and such are in good shape and use it. Can't wait to get one on my boat so that I don't have to lift that bucket over the side when it is full of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.