BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good Tech in Fort Lauderdale or Lauderdale By The Sea, Florida area. I am down here from NJ and the radar is on the fritz. Keeps shutting down after a brief start up of 10 - 30 min stating - "No Data". Got to find someone to look at it as it is a long way back home and possible fog and outside runs make it important.:bow:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
What do you have a C or E unit?

it sounds like it could be one of the following:

1. You are loosing power to the unit, check the fuse
2. The network connection to the display is loose or corroded, if it goes into a switch check to make sure there is no corrosion on the connector, they use a shielded cable and the metal part on the connector must make a good connection or it will drop out.
3. Loss power to the switch but if this is happening then all your component like the sounder would drop off as well.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
OK so you setup has the data cable from the radome either going into a network switch or directly into the back of the unit. Can you get access to the cable connections?

You will need to find the data connection and power for the dome and make sure they are clean. Are you familiar with computer cables? The connection is the same as an ethernet connection, it looks like a fatter phone jack. I would start by pulling the off the back of the unit and cleaning them up.

Looking at the manual and an image of the setup from the back there is one port for the seatalk Hs network, you can have the radar connect to one display and the sounder to the other or you can have them all coming to the seatalk HS switch and then a cable from that to the display.

do you know how it is configured? Can you see the back of the units and the modules for the system. Do you have sirius with this? If so then chances are you have the seatalk HS switch, the radar, sounder module and sirius will all connect to this.

Are you losing data to the sounder and sirius as well or just the radar? this will tell you where the problem lies, if not then check the connection from the radome to the HS switch and the power to the radome, I had a problem and it turned out the power was not secure. If power is ok then you want to check the data cable from the dome to the switch, if it is clean try moving it to another port on the switch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes radar is on both units, I have sirius weather so it goes to a switch, no problem with sirius or FF only radar is no data. I will check the cable to the switch and the power to the cable. how do you check the power to the radar - I have a meter - It would be 12V Correct?
I checked the connection in sea talk and it seemed clean but I think it was loose any way I plugged it in tightly and tried the radar and it came up and appears to be working fine. Will try it tomorrow for longer time period to know for sure. I am currently in a marina and the other boats may be bothered if I leave it on for a long test now.
Thanks for your help and I will keep my fingers crossed that it is fixed otherwise I will go on to check the open array connections and power.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
yes radar is on both units, I have sirius weather so it goes to a switch, no problem with sirius or FF only radar is no data. I will check the cable to the switch and the power to the cable. how do you check the power to the radar - I have a meter - It would be 12V Correct?
I checked the connection in sea talk and it seemed clean but I think it was loose any way I plugged it in tightly and tried the radar and it came up and appears to be working fine. Will try it tomorrow for longer time period to know for sure. I am currently in a marina and the other boats may be bothered if I leave it on for a long test now.
Thanks for your help and I will keep my fingers crossed that it is fixed otherwise I will go on to check the open array connections and power.

There should be a power cable that goes through a fuse panel or an inline fuse separately for the dome, what model dome do you have. 12VDc is what you should be getting, make sure there is power to it and the cables are secure. With radar the unit needs to warm up before you can transmit so if power is lost it may go into a standby mode to protect it, would not be good if power was on and off while it was transmitting.

I would think though that it is a loose or corroded data connection from the switch to the dome since your sirius and FF continue to work. You said it seemed loose, if it looses a connection for just a bit it will drop out that is the way it works, not sure if it will reacquire if the connection is made while it was in use and it might be why it only works when you start up. You control the unit through the data cable telling it when to transmit and secure so a loss of that data may put it into a standby mode until you restart. Hopefully you found that it was just a loose connection, the metal on the connector ends should be clean and shiny, not sure if the raymarine cables use SS.

I had a similar problem with mine and when checked the connections they were a little loose, I think the bumping from the boat was knocking it in and out and I had to restart the unit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts