BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thanks for recommendations.
I think I will try to rebuild the hydraulic rems for my Alpha 1 otdrive. I can get the seals online. Any recommendations,precautions , sequence etc.
I'm mechanically OK but there has to be some precautions for a 1st time doing it

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
They realy don't hold up to being rebuilt. The front seal will usualy tear out again because of corosion. If you decide to continue as with all Hydrolics clean is the key to sucess. After you get it clean clean it again then before you reassemble it put plenty of light oil on the seals O-rings and packing. If they were working slow or bleading down the packing might need to be tightened or replaced also. GoodLuck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mike, what happens is, the outdrive will trim out but wont go down unless I push on it while someone is pushing the button. I was told by several people that the front seal sometimes swells. The shaft looks great, no scoring, pits etc. Its as smooth as a babys ***.
The repair kits are around $18 each so it seems like it's worth trying.

The end caps where the piston part comes out of the shaft, does that just twist off? It has a knurled surface like you grip it by hand or a strap wrench?

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
The other thing to consider is a pressure prob. with the down circut, which is low anyway compared to up. If you think the problem is the ram seals, I would try working it up and down while using penetrating oil on the shafts. The alum. ram housing can be damaged and not reusable if there's alot of corrosion. I wouldn't try to rebuild unless the rams are in very good condition. Fresh or salt water boat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.