BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a couple 20 pound standups. I rarely use them, being a commited fly rodder. I'm heading back down to the keys in May. I always take them. I use them to troll hookless teasers for Mahi, Sails etc. Doing the fly rodders "bait and switch". I do also, occaisionaly" troll bali hoo with hooks to bring home dinner if you will. On this trip, they'll as well will be baited up with live bait for sharks. Might even be used for deep jigging the reef edge for Grouper and Amberjack. I've always had them spooled with mono. This go around......I'm thinking about having them spooled with braid. You guys that use braid, good idea or not?????? My thought is that with the lack of stretch in braid, it may not be the best choice for trolling. Your knowlegable input please. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I like a braid backing with a monofilament top shot. I have 100 yards of top shot on our 30s, so the braid never leaves the reel unless a fish makes a big run. This provides shock absorption as well as keeping braid out of outrigger clips and roller guides until its under tension.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sensei. I guess I'd have to ask, why any braid at all. Again, I'm no expert in this niche but with a hundred yard mono top shot, my guess would be you rarely if ever get to the braid. I'm not hunting giant Tuna or Marlin that could do a hundred plus yard run. In the situation I'm going to be experiencing, I guess a larger shark could get me run out that far. Especialy on 20 pound and the somewhat limited amount of mustard I could put on the fish.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The main benefits are increased line capacity, less overall stretch and the braid will last a very long time, so you can get away with changing just the top shot rather than respooling the whole reel when needed. It ends up costing more up front but less in the long run.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main benefits are increased line capacity, less overall stretch and the braid will last a very long time, so you can get away with changing just the top shot rather than respooling the whole reel when needed. It ends up costing more up front but less in the long run.
Gotcha, thanks, that makes sense, a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I am going with the top shot suggestion as well. In the long run, it is cheaper as far as replacing line. It also allows for quick leader changes if you need to go heavier or lighter for any reason. ( you never know). Line capacity will be much better as mentioned. :)

This how all of my rods are done up. Larger stuff may have Dacron in place of braid. I have everything at my fingertips, but I still like this method best.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re spool

Ok, I have a couple 20 pound standups. I rarely use them, being a commited fly rodder. I'm heading back down to the keys in May. I always take them. I use them to troll hookless teasers for Mahi, Sails etc. Doing the fly rodders "bait and switch". I do also, occaisionaly" troll bali hoo with hooks to bring home dinner if you will. On this trip, they'll as well will be baited up with live bait for sharks. Might even be used for deep jigging the reef edge for Grouper and Amberjack. I've always had them spooled with mono. This go around......I'm thinking about having them spooled with braid. You guys that use braid, good idea or not?????? My thought is that with the lack of stretch in braid, it may not be the best choice for trolling. Your knowlegable input please. :)
Suggest Hi -Vis if trolling, TS as well!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much gentlemen. All my big game fly reels have a braid/gel spun backing. Keeps the line drag down and the spool diameter up. That's a must on a non-geared reel. Spool diameter is everything. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts