BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have honest real world numbers of a 25 and 28 Carolina Classic? NO, I am not converting I will remain Centered. :cool:

I am asking for a buddy.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Probably get about 1 mpg average with the 28 Don. The boat has twin 4 cylinder turbo charged diesels. On the troll the damn thing makes fuel though. A typical canyon day troll we will burn about 180 gallons running to either the Spencer or Wilmington out of GE. Cruise is about 24 knots.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
my old mans pop owned 2 28 carolina classics before we stepped up to the 35. im going to have to ask what was in them but they were cats, we cruised around 27-28 and a run to the baltimore out of cape may around 60-65miles trolling all day and back home would take about 110 gallons at most.

the 35(lucky strike) on the same trip burns around 200

·
Registered
139 Posts
25 doesnt burn fuel

Ive run one a bunch of times for a guy and it doesnt seem to EVER require fuel. Nighborhood of 3 mpg. Need specifics on power etc? Is he shopping or curious?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
25 with a littl yanmar

A freind bought one perfect inshore boat I don't know the burn #'s but how bad could it be.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We ran a 28 albemarle for 3 years before moving up to the 305, we had floscans even though it was diesel. The 28 burned 7 gph per engine at cruise so lets just say a average of 15 gallons and hour for both motors. So if the math is right, it is about 1.5 or 1.6 mpg. We run out of IRI delaware and ran about 80 nm miles, trolled all day and headed home to a 96nm run and put 130 gallons in it. Now we would be at about 180-200 with the 305!!! I compared the albemarle with the 28 carolina classic because they are very simlar of a boat. Our 28 ablie was a 99 with 6 cyl. volvos. I would expect the carolina classic to be burning around 16 or 17 gallons per hour due to being a foot wider and a foot longer and about 1.4 mpg

scott
timeoff

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
MarlinMatt

Is your father Tuna Jack? Maybe you could help me out. I think I saw that Tom S boat is for sale and hope everything is okay with him. I have known Tom for many years and one of the finest guys and great fisherman I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel Burn 28 CC 300 Kamd diesels

My 28 burns at best 1.37nmpg. 72 nm to spencer, 8 hour troll. I usually burn between 140-150 gallons.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If your buddy is looking at a 28 carolina with 454 gas engines he is in trouble. The thing is a gas hog. Find one that has deisels. A masseys trip from IRI and back it uses 160 gallons.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
earlier correction about the cats in the 28' they were actually cummins diesels. and did very well in the boat.

Captain's John & Diana said:
Is your father Tuna Jack? Maybe you could help me out. I think I saw that Tom S boat is for sale and hope everything is okay with him. I have known Tom for many years and one of the finest guys and great fisherman I know.
my dad is kent, were good friends of jacks and fish with him on every trip he runs. were also good friends with tom and really havent heard too much of the story on why hes getting rid of the boat; jack hasnt either, i hope also everythings alright with tom he is one heck of a fishermen, If the weather cooperates this weekend jack wants to do alil sea bass fishing, im sure tom will be asked to join and we might hear alittle more.. perhaps a downsize? going from run and gun to an ocean is a big step.

just to clear it up if you see this hefty guy on the right, hes my dad.
swell fish catchin fella himself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i think you will find the cc 25 with the single yanmar 315/straight inboard will cruise at 22-23 knots and burn 9-11 gph. the cc 28 with twin yanmar 315's/straight inboards, will cruise at 23-24 knots and burn 20-22 gph's. obviously, these are approximations and will vary, depending on conditions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts