BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Grady White 247 Advance CC. Real World Can I survive a catastrophic hole in the hull? (Say I hit something)

What will the boat do?
Sink??
Fill with Water and stay level?
Roller over ?

Say worst case 3 - 4 footers 5 seconds apart to Glass calm

Dont venture out much anymore unless 2 to 3 or better

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could sink you fast no matter what type of boat
Thats my question "sink you fast" as to the Bottom,Roll,Float Stable??

Grady's Claim Full Flotation (or do they?) what REALLY does that mean.

I think this past week was the anniversary of those 3 football players that died (one survived) on the 20 foot Everglades. That boat floated but rolled Not that comforting

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Catastrophic faliure is just that. In a few short seconds or at most a minute even the most experianced can loose a rig. This will not matter the brand or type. The best thing you can do is prepair for the worst. I lost one a few years ago and I thought I was ready. I was not. Nothing can prepair you for it. The saying go's if you go out enough you will eventualy loose one. I say I already lost one I just hope I'm not on another boat when it's that Captains turn. Just be as prepaired as you can be and in the event it happens stay calm and keep everyone together until help arrives. I was lucky I got my mayday out and talked to the Coast Guard. All said we were in the water for only 3 hrs. This was a lifetime for my Nephew but I thought it was very a very quick rescue do to the fact we were 30 miles out and running when we lost contact with the Coast Guard. If I can help you prepair I will just send me a E-mail I'm in Shawcrest Marina WildWood N.J. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The key word in your post is catastrophic. No, it will not survive a large hole below the water line. It is pretty rare to hit something hard enough to do that kind of damage though. On inboard boats you can install crash pumps and they can aid a larger boat. A charter guy 2 slips down from me, a few years ago, hit a cable that was being laid and apparently not marked correctly and his crash pumps saved him. You should keep plugs that will fit all of your through hulls, onboard and these can potentially help with a hole. There are also a few other ways stop/slow water intrusion that are mentioned in Chapman's.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok lets not get hung up on Catastrophic

How about a hole or thru hull giving out filling the boat with water.

With the Advertised Full Flotation will the boat most likely turtle as described above and stay level like a 2 x 4 even up side down or stay in a normal position level filled with water?

I'm thinking the worst would have the boat floating upside down with just a few feet of bow stinking above the water.

Are not boats with full flotation suppose to provide better Flotation??

Don't know thats why I'm asking

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It should have some foam floatation up under the gunnels , It is supposed to help the boat from going completely under at least for a while. the older gw's had it I think , I know my older sea ox has it. and they were designed by the same man. It also depends on how big the hole is , There was a grady went down last fall in the rips , it didn't sink to the bottom. If I remember right it did capsize though.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I havent read every post and this may have been said already. If you completely fill the hull with water (sans the fuel tank and flotation space) it is more than likely that you will roll. The boat is much more stable unside down than right side up, its a matter of physics. Add a t-top, hard top, people, gear, etc, its going to want to roll once the mass of water inside gets moving side to side.

Brett

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent read every post and this may have been said already. If you completely fill the hull with water (sans the fuel tank and flotation space) it is more than likely that you will roll. The boat is much more stable unside down than right side up, its a matter of physics. Add a t-top, hard top, people, gear, etc, its going to want to roll once the mass of water inside gets moving side to side.

Brett
Agreed.

Of all the Boats I have seen "sunk" in my life a 31 Jupiter a Friend rolled and a 25 Sailfish Grady all went Belly up. Both Boats in Corsons Inlet.
The only Boston Whaler I witnessed filled with water but stayed level until the surf flipped it onto the beach

So it looks like I need grap rails on the Hull LOL

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Agreed.

Of all the Boats I have seen "sunk" in my life a 31 Jupiter a Friend rolled and a 25 Sailfish Grady all went Belly up. Both Boats in Corsons Inlet.
The only Boston Whaler I witnessed filled with water but stayed level until the surf flipped it onto the beach

So it looks like I need grap rails on the Hull LOL
Put a few handles and foot holds on the bottom. :D

Obviously I hope none of us ever need to worry of such things. But we need to recognize that positive flotation does not imply that only your feet will get wet.

Brett

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I was in a 24' Searay Lugna. The cause was a 1-1/8'' PLASTIC THRUHULL FITTING that failed. I could not find the sorce at the time I only found out this after the boat was recovered and on the lift. I don't know when it failed we were in slicky calm seas and trolling for atleast 2hrs. By the time I realized I had a problem it was too late. One thing was it was a friends boat I was not familure with the layout and location of the underwater fittings and also no alarms were on the boat. I also belive the only pump failed do to the fact that it was not working after the recovery and we even tried straight wiring it to get it to work. 1. I would not have run that far had I known it only had one pump. 2. I later found out that the boat was taking on water in the slip before my friend pulled it and brought it to me. 3. I only took it at the last minute on VAC. because I blew a main in my VAC. boat the week before departure. 4. I should have taken time to get familure with the boat as I lost it on the secon day of a 2 week VAC. 5. I was in a rush as other events before the trip had me tired and agrivated, like trying to rebuild my engine and get it back in my boat all the way up until the day before my trip. 6. If I had spent that time going over the Lugna instead of trying to do the impossable things would have been differant.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
sinking boats

i had an 18 ft whaler outrage you ran it with the plug out when boat comes on plane it would empty the clam shell on the bottom at the drain got damanged and when under way instead of the water going out it cme in and started to full up i pushed the tthrottle faster and more water came in the boat started to go down by the stern was luckey enought to get to the fort and get pulled out at bunkies and we then found out what the problem was so you dont ever know what is going to happen the best thing stay clam and use common sence but that is what i did and it made comditions worse like i said you never know:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
My friends were 75 miles off a few years ago when they had major hull failure, they began taking on water way faster than they could pump it out. Luckily the weather was nice and the coast guard got a gas pump out to them quickly via jet. With the help of sportfishermen John and the coast guard the boat made it back under it's own power. This boat was a foam filled hull and if it wasn't i really don't the boat would have stayed up right. When i look back at the pictures i am amazed that the boat made it back.

·
Registered
924 Posts
all boats even advertised with floatation will sink to water level and are very easy to flip over but not easy to flip back.you can stay on top of a capsized vessel but don't think your safe in cold weather counting on the floatation your up shits creek to say the least

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.