BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yeah I have seen it. Very Sad. Basically the Obama administration has decided to back the listing of Bluefin Tuna under CITES and will vote to do so later next month at a CITES meeting.

The only way we are commercially fishing for tuna this year if if the other countries vote this down. If voted for all bluefin sales(if any) will have to stay local and get a shitty price. $2 -$6 bucks/pound for the end user. Not the fisherman....
Plus a majority of these fish come in waves...During a two week span in June nearly a 1/4 of the quota was cought and same with October (more then a 1/4) This will flood the market and make the price even lower. SAD...

And for the RECS who say I dont care or what does this mean for me...if this passes...trust me you will not be bringing any tuna back to the dock legally.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah I have seen it. Very Sad. Basically the Obama administration has decided to back the listing of Bluefin Tuna under CITES and will vote to do so later next month at a CITES meeting.

The only way we are commercially fishing for tuna this year if if the other countries vote this down. If voted for all bluefin sales(if any) will have to stay local and get a shitty price. $2 -$6 bucks/pound for the end user. Not the fisherman....
Plus a majority of these fish come in waves...During a two week span in June nearly a 1/4 of the quota was cought and same with October (more then a 1/4) This will flood the market and make the price even lower. SAD...

And for the RECS who say I dont care or what does this mean for me...if this passes...trust me you will not be bringing any tuna back to the dock legally.
I dropped a few reels to get spooled in Brielle yesterday, I made a point of asking the owner who is very involved with management, in particular, the fluke fishery ;) about this. His contention was that it would not affect the rec.

I'm hoping he is better informed compared to this other chatter thats out there.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I dream of seeing fish like the good ole days spoke of by my seniors and thise young that had the fortunate experience.
Since Istubbornly refuse to go anywhere to catch a real giant it is prolly my only chance at a true giant..

I don't know what it will mean but i do think we regulated fairly at this point. Not being able to commecially fish um, well I do not think hook and line s going to hurt them at this point. Make it a hook and line and poon fishery, is what I say.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thumbs down on bluefin tuna restrictions

Whether you are recreational or commercial and can fish or release this year ignores the obvious: which way is it going? My personal observation is that the bluefin tuna fishery is getting better and that the limits are too low. We should be looking to increase money spent by fishermen and all related industries not shutting it all down. See today's NY times Editorial : A chance to save the bluefin." That's what the public (majority) are being fed. I am against this action and can't believe the complacency.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
What CITES means if it goes through is that it places the bluefin under the title of "threatened by extinction" if you think the gov't is going to let anyone, commercial or recreational, continue to target fish that are deemed to be endangered you might have to think again...

From what I understand the rec. fishery for bluefin would not be effected this year or maybe even next year, but a CITES listing gets the ball rolling very quickly to shut down any kind of fishing for bluefin, especially with all the enviro groups pressuring the gov't.

The worst part about this is that countries that don't agree with the listing can choose to ignore it. Japan already has stated they will ignore the listing and continue fishing for bluefin. Many of the Mediterranean countries have or will follow Japan's lead. The tuna will continue to be over-fished. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
"i thought i read that bft is already closed till june 1 on the permit page?"

That is for the "general" category permit. For HMS Angling category permit (recreational), I believe it is open and the regs are 1 BFT between 27-73 inches per vessel per day, plus 1 trophy over 73 per year.

Here is an article about what a CITES listing means: http://www.sportfishingmag.com/species/conservation/cites-listings-and-bluefin-tuna-1000074795.html

Basically, it will have no impact on recreational BFT fishing.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I like the way this young gun thinks!!!
the power of postive thinking!

Yes Josh it will be TFD on the Hooked Up II this year I just got the go ahead for domination from my boss!!!!:thumbsup:
Team Full Drag domination, with me you and sean, helmets are going to be just as important as pfds.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
stripers dont cross the pond
True dat. M.R.

However, hasn't our BF fishery gotten very good from what was once very poor? Isn't the slaughter across the pond no better than it was a few years ago or then? One has to think, how is it that our fishery has gotten better and better for the past several seasons?

My guess is although many do go, many do not... Thus our fishing has seen continual improvement.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Everyone is making valid points, but I just think that if bluefin get on a list where they would be considered endangered how long before all fishing for them here in the USA is shut down? And yes while that could be what they need for a set amount of time, when is the last time something was taken off the endangered species list?

I don't know, I just get pissed that it seems like we are the only country that plays by the rules as far as bluefin are concerned and we might be the ones that pay for it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.