BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Renting a House on the Little Choptank/ Fishing Creek Maryland on CB Mid August. Anyone suggest/know a guide down there?

(Its just west of Cambridge Md)

I could go it alone in my little jon boat but judging from my success in Strathmere, I just dont know.

Well you can always suggest a pattern or two if you want too..

thanks

John

·
Registered
481 Posts
John, I just spent the last weekend in St. Michaels. I went out with an Orvis guide by the name of Russ Wilkinson. We did really well with the rockfish from Tilghman Island south to the opening of the Chop. We focused mainly around the rocks of a dredge spoil island near Tilghman. I would certainly recomend a ride with Russ!
Pete

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
jschmidt,
this is an area i fly fish often and know well. you can hire a guide if you like, but the chop is really simple and can be done in a small boat. from the rte 50 bridge west there is a ton of shoreline structure (rip-rap, trees, submerged points, etc) that will have current flowing over it. find it and fish it w/ chartruese clousers during the day and small poppers at sunrise/sunset. all the schoolie rockfish and white perch you could ever want. for a change up, try some deeper water with crab colored clousers and get your fly on bottom. croakers will readily accept it and are available in the "tank". the occasional pod of bluefish will also show up. beautiful place, enjoy your trip!!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys

thanks so much for the additional information!

Dixie also thanks for the specific fishing info. Actually I will be staying off of little chotank in fishing creek but it looks like I am not far from the big "tank".

My feeling is that a guide could give me some pointers in the beginning of the week that could only help the rest of the week. Money well spent I guess. Also, although I have a boat, its only a 12ft jon with a 3hp so my range is very limited.

I always thought I could fly fish water I have fished since I was a boy with good results, like Strathmere. But I have come to realize in big water I need some help. Now stick me in CB with no experience, other than the books I read.

But if you have any more info about the little choptank, I will be hitting this by myself for sure.

thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts