BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you whom have caught Red Drum...

What bait did you use?

Do they fight like stripers do?

[ 11-29-2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Dakota Rob ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
some barners were in on a good bite for one or two days a couple years ago at herford inlet but have heard nothing since.that area years ago was very big in catching and harvesting them in the teen's twenties and thirties.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Mullet has been hot this season as well in The Mosquito Lagoon

They also love mini blue claws

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
I was in on that red drum bite at Herefods Inlet in NWW a couple years ago, we also had a lot of specks that year and the bite lasted for about a week or so. I've caught red drum in Hatteras on mullet,bunker,and shrimp. I also got'em on bloodworms when fishing for sea mullet down there as well as on gold Hopkins ,Mirrorlure 52m's and on leadheads with green twistertails on a troutrod when fishing for trout (specks).
I think they fight harder and longer per pound than stripers, but sometimes your observations and memory gets fuzy in the fog of battle. Never the less, they are a lot of fun and the little keeper size guys make a excellent meal.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've caught them on mullet in NJ and have caught many of them on shrimp in FL.

Pound for pound, they fight better than a striper.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I had a excellent battle with a Red a few Springs
ago...I was fishing off the KittyHawk Fishing Pier down in OBX..
Was Using A White Bucktail
with a Green 2" Rubber Teaser above it..It hit
the teaser and I believe it was the biggest one
brought up over the rail that day...
I later went down below and fished a nice break
in the waves and landed a few others off the
beach...

[ 11-30-2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by Dakota Rob:

What bait did you use?

NO they would beat the crap out of a striper!! i wish there were BIG reds in NJ.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Originally posted by Dakota Rob:

What bait did you use?

Bunker, what else? (lower Chesapeake Bay) :D Fight twice as hard as bass.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by aimless2:
I caught a bunch of reds on pilchards yesterday, but I was in SW Florida. :eek: Apparently live bait works.
What's a Pilchard??

Are you with Jack??

[ 11-30-2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by TWIN D'S:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dakota Rob:

What bait did you use?

Bunker, what else? (lower Chesapeake Bay) :D Fight twice as hard as bass. </font>[/QUOTE]yup bunker, but nothing beats fresh caught bait for the monsters down in the OBX ;) match the hatch and the big boys/girls will cooperate :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by Redfish Rob:
Any more pictures of Red Drums?

[ 12-01-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: beachboy ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Tom,

What is that, a redfish or dirt-fish? You fish killer. :D ;)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Hey, any of you guys with OBX expierience know when the best time of year is to fish for these giants down there? I was thinking about maybe taking a Friday & a Monday off & driving down there & hitting the surf hard.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:
Tom,

What is that, a redfish or dirt-fish? You fish killer. :D ;)
hey steve,

Nope they went back to fight another day. they are tough fish - that night the waves were about 8ft rolling in. mercanwit went for a swim releasing the one fish for me. when it kicked to take off it knocked him over(and he's got some weight behind him ;) )

the first pic i posted i usually get abused for because of the death grip/hug i have on it... LOL :D but i had never caught anything that big before at that point and wasn't about to drop it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by mch:
Hey, any of you guys with OBX expierience know when the best time of year is to fish for these giants down there? I was thinking about maybe taking a Friday & a Monday off & driving down there & hitting the surf hard.
pretty much the same times our stripers are running. spring and fall, but it depends on the air and water temps. the last couple years the water has been too warm in november IMO, and the big guys haven't been around.

its well worth the trip though. free driving on the beach, you can light fires, and drink on the beach. and you never know what will be swimming in the water down there, but whatever it is will usually be big (sharks, rays, bass, reds)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts