BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a century slingshot. Im looking to pair this rod up to a decent reel. Do I take the plunge and invest in a van staal or is there a cheaper option that you would recommend. Thanks

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If you can afford it, there should be no question. Take the plunge....

RyanF

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
why take a rocket launcher like the slingshot and anchor it down with a vs?
there are so many better reels out there that would compliment the ss better.
I agree. The only exception to this would be if you submerge your reel regularly, and/or retrieve with the reel underwater.

If it were me, I'd get either a Penn Torque, which does not have a long-cast spool design, but which still evidently casts pretty well, and which is also waterproof. I'm a big fan of this new reel from Penn. The Shimano Stella SW is also an option -- it's widely considered the finest spinning reel on the planet, and it is more than suitable for surf use -- but they are wicked expensive (almost a grand) and they are just about impossible to self-service, unless you're a rocket scientist.

Or, if you really want to splurge, go for a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) reel. Get a rod built on one of them high-tech blanks from Century, pair it with a Shimano Power Albrid CI4, which you will have to order from Asia and which will likely run you about $350, and you'll be able to outcast every dope on the beach (like me). It is not the most rugged reel out there, but it will cast a mile, if that's what you're interested in. The Daiwa Basia line and the Shimano Aero Technium are other, more expensive JDM reel options. In fact, for pure performance, the JDM reels probably blow away anything that's regularly available here in the U.S. market.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have many options at my finger tips and I still use a Cabo PTS40. Going back it was said that the spool seemed to help eliminate wind knots with braid. In 7 years I have had 1 wind knot. I cant say its all because of the reel, or its all just luck!?

I am not a big fan of the VS unless its getting dunked. So I think it all depends on how you will be using it. If its distance you want, go conventional!!!! That's about the only sure thing we can all agree on I think.

If you want to go conventional, Paul down at Grumpys Tackle is "the man to talk to". He has been building me custom reels for my own use since I converted over back in 97' . I use ABU Reels and recently been playing with the Canyon HS-15 with great results. I only use my Cabo for light plugs.

Good Luck. There are not many spool designs that will hurt you that much today. Most of them are friendly when it comes to casting and resistance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why are there so many Van Staal haters out there. I own 2 VS reels. The 150 is one a 9 ft custom lami and my 200 is on a 11ft custom CTS VT. I promise you that I can cast as far with the VS as most guys out there. I also own a stella 20k I would not even think about bringing that reel to the beach. Look you bought a nice custom rod so before you have it built a good builder is gonna ask you what reel are we putting on this beauty. If you can afford a VS or a ZB than I say go for it. If you take care of it you will never have to buy another surf reel the rest of your life and to boot the high VS and ZB reels hold their value.
Unless your a bait fishing guy than conventional is the only way to go in my opionon. There are tons of great conv. reels look at abu, newell, not a big penn guy but they have a few and even an avet will cast like a dream. good luck with your quest to find the one.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I promise you that I can cast as far with the VS as most guys out there.
It would take about five minutes with a Shimano Aero to disabuse you of this notion. :razz:

I'm just kidding, of course, but if you think a VS is a good long-casting reel, you haven't tried very many other reels. Van Staals have some good traits, but being at the top of the food chain in terms of casting is unarguably not one of them. You may not care about this -- I know casting distance is something I don't pay much attention to --but when it comes to casting, modern reels with long-cast spools are Ferraris, and the VS is a Ford F150.

turn it around.......why are there so many van staal worshippers out there? unless you need to reel underwater there are lots of better casting reels out there.
It's not just casting: when retrieving, Van Staals are like coffee grinders. I personally hate this aspect of them. There are much better, smoother reels out there, and they don't cost $700.

Let's be honest here: the Van Staal has one great quality: the fact that it's sealed, that it's waterproof and sandproof. Otherwise, the reel sucks: there are reels that sell for a quarter the price that have smoother retrieves, better drags, and which cast way better. If you like the fact that it's sealed, or the fact that you can fish it for many months without worrying about service, fine; have fun fishing it. But don't pretend that it's the be-all and end-all of surf reels, because it's not. I personally think, for example, that the new Penn Torque spinner is better in every way than a Van Staal -- that's right, the VS is inferior to the Torque in every way -- and the Penn is cheaper, made in America, and easily self-serviceable.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Can't prove it, but I thought all the Penn Products except the Internation Reels were made over seas!
Penn still makes a lot of reels in Philly, something like 34 different models. All of the Internationals, including the International Baitcasters, the Torque conventionals, the Baja Special, the Graph-Lite Lever drag, and now the Torque spinners: these are all made in Penn's Philadelphia factory. The price point is $250: anything under this is probably made in Asia; anything more is made in Philly.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
turn it around.......why are there so many van staal worshippers out there?
unless you need to reel underwater there are lots of better casting reels out there.[/QUOTE

My Older Shimano BT's have sealed drags and unless you are "Swimmin with the Fish " with a wet suit. Its pretty hard to justify the cost of a VS for this average fishing Joe. I much rather put the money in the Rod.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
My VS has already paid for itself, solely for the fact that I can push myself into situations where I would previously be worried more about protecting my reel than catching fish. I have yet to be in a situation where I couldn't reach, and I'll take that ease of mind over a few extra yards any day of the week. Sand, spray, over the head swells, swims.. I don't even think twice about anything, that alone is worth it to me..

RyanF

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Penn Slammer 560. I packed mine with grease and it works just like a van staal, has been dunked, dropped, burried, and has yet to fail me. Going on its 7th year of service.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If you're not sold, get a Penn. Fish it for a few seasons and then get your VS if you see fit. You'll probably want a second stick by that point anyway, so you can just set up another combo..it's all about what you think you will be doing with it.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Well good luck with whatever you get.
I just picked up my second VS. posts
are correct, don't expect handle to spin
around 12 times. But mine are very smooth
and I really like the drag. They get smoother
with use. Again good luck. There are alot
of great reels out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.