BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been brought up in the past but I could not find a specific product to use to remove the old grease off of the reel components. What do you guys use?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I llike WD-40 and a toothbrush and old wash-rag...as WD-40 is mostly solvent its cuts the old grease nicely. Clean everything up then re-lube with the approriate lubes, (reel oil or grease), as you put it back together.

Bill

·
Registered
391 Posts
I llike WD-40 and a toothbrush and old wash-rag...as WD-40 is mostly solvent its cuts the old grease nicely. Clean everything up then re-lube with the approriate lubes, (reel oil or grease), as you put it back together.

Bill
I keep a lot of Q-tips on hand to scoop out 90% of the clumpy, old grease. Then I also use an old toothbrush with a couple of squirts of simple green (good degreaser and good for environment) then finish up with wd-40 and a rag or paper towels to "fine finish" clean parts. I like the toothbrush idea because it doesn't hurt or scratch the finish of the reel, but does it's job. The best part is instead of throwing mine & my kids old toothbrushes away I just soak them in mild soap, clean them up real good and they are an extremely versatile tool. I usually just throw them away when I'm finished with my reels as an old toothbrush is usually never far away!:D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I keep a lot of Q-tips on hand to scoop out 90% of the clumpy, old grease. Then I also use an old toothbrush with a couple of squirts of simple green (good degreaser and good for environment) then finish up with wd-40 and a rag or paper towels to "fine finish" clean parts. I like the toothbrush idea because it doesn't hurt or scratch the finish of the reel, but does it's job. The best part is instead of throwing mine & my kids old toothbrushes away I just soak them in mild soap, clean them up real good and they are an extremely versatile tool. I usually just throw them away when I'm finished with my reels as an old toothbrush is usually never far away!:D
He means alot of Q-tips they are awesome when cleaning reels but alot will be needed and WD-40 is awesome in there.:)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i did all my reels for the first time this year. i had a huge can of loctite degreaser/cleaner. that stuff is AWESOME. just gotta be careful cause it comes out strong, and it burns when it bounces off the reel and into your eyes. ask me how i know....

anyway, it really cleaned out everything in the reel. i didnt do a complete break down (take off every little part) and im confident it was just as clean as if i did.

next time i do a reel, ill do a before and after shot with JUST using this product, no q-tips or nothing, and im sure itll surprise a lot of people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.