BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took apart all my rods and reels, cleaning everything and stripped all the mono off. I have four reels with Power Pro (dead sticking, 65lb/50lb), for the surf. I have used these reels all season, and caught a lot of fish. On two of the reels, the braids color has fadded (Moss Green,50lb), is this an indication the line must be changed or just normal ware. First season using braided line. On the other two reels the color is fine, 65lb. I believe I used the discolored line more. :confused:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have 5 year old power pro that is still tough as nails.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
perfectly normal and it will last much longer than mono

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just took power pro off my reel tonight. I used the line all year, and it was very faded also. Closer to the backing looked like new.
On my other reel I had Stren Super Braid. Did not fade and look real good. Im starting to turn toward the Stren...maybe just on apearance alone. Eventhough the faded powerpro may be just as strong as the first day it was put on, it just doesn't look right.
By the way, this is my first year using the braided stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm with CC19. I've been using braid for three years and it's lasted at least that long. every other year if the braid looks faided, I just take it off of the reel, back it and uni-knot it to another reel and reel it right on the second reel. the business end of the braid is now brand new because it's never been used down that far.

Faded braid never seemed to make a difference in performance anyway. I use a three foot shot of flouro leader anyhow.

Notch

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Using Fireline for years now and won't give it up. 10 pound for back bay flounder. 20 pound for stripers and 30 pound for tuna.

I don't car what the manufacturer says. I change my 10 and 20 every year. Small price for peace of mind. Only use the 30 once a season and that reel is loaded with 500 yards.

If I have a real active day then I will cut about ten feet of line off before the next trip. That section gets more abuse than the rest of the line on my reel.

I use Gama hooks with Fireline on Shimano reels fished on rods I make myself. From wrist to fish I have total confidence in my equipment.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reversing the braid on my reels tonight. The other end looks brand new, placed new mono backing also, 20lb test. I'm glad my Stradics came with extra spools, that makes it easier to transfer to another reel. I used a prussix knot to tie the braid to the mono. Very similar to the uni knot,its also called the fishermans knot in the fire service. It looks like it will hold pretty well. Thanks for all your help with this subject. Tight lines.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The color dye for power pro is actually a coating, and is not impregnated in the strands. It wears off and is no indication of the condition or wear on the line. The first year I used it lost allmost all of its color after a hard week in Montauk. I ran into a Power Pro rep at one of the shows and that is how he explained it to me.

·
Registered
31,523 Posts
All Spectra is white and doesn't hold color. Power Pro uses a wax to hold the color. It gets lumpy as it wears off and fades but it doesn't effect the line. Other companies use teflon. Still fades but doesn't get lumpy.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm like Chunkin...Fireline all the way. yea it fades alittle, but the lines not hurt. Power Pro appears to lose it's color quickest in my opinion.
also, sometimes it will "shed" and you'll end up with the color on your rod/reel. Doesn't hurt anything but kinda annoying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts