BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish a strong current in the CT River and what I do is let my bait drift on a three-way swivel. I set my drag very low until something takes the bait and heads for cover. At that moment I leap to the rod, re-set the drag and fight. However, many times during re-setting the drag, I don't set it to exactly where I want it to be. This has lead me to broken lines and upsetting escapes. Is there a way or a Reel that I can set at a certain drag to resist the river from taking more line, and at the same time move well when there is a bite without you having to reset the drag? I have a baitcaster reel and I can almost do this by playing with the "Cast" mode. I'll send out the bait, keep the reel in cast mode, and wait for something to hit. At that moment, the reel is screaming for me and one touch of the reel handle will turn off the "cast" mode and automatically set the drag. The problem is that certain days the current runs much stronger, and leaving the reel in "Cast" mode results in the river pulling my line away. Are there any reel experts who can help?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go get your self a liveliner or bait runner spinning reel . look for a size reel to handle the fish that you are targeting. some brands to look for are tica ,penn okuma and shamamo. price range from $50to $150. problem solved.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
shimano baitrunners are awesome 3500,4500,6500 pick the size you feel necessary

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If you want spinning buy a Baitrunner. If you want conventional spend the 2 beans and get an AVET sx lever drag. Casts like a rocket, strong clicker, and has plent of mucsle for any striped bass... I you cant spend the money do what Zar says and lock it up. Stay close though;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Charter Special

I have been using a Charter Special 2000 four 4 years and it is exactly what you want, I use the larger one because I also go after drum and offshore reefs but you could get by with the 1000. I you want a spinner then as others have said Shimano Baitrunners chose the size for the fish you are targeting.

Mike

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
reel questions

Penn Squidder if they still make them I think it is one of the best for the buck:) :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your best bet is to go with a lever drag conventional, You can set the drag with a tee scale and with a large fish on slowly move the lever into strike mode. They range in price but there a some good ones for under 200.00. That should solve your problem. Good luck:)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Shimano Baitrunner. Get yourself a setup that has the dual drag feature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts